cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outside stove vent flap

dejaroda39
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a used 2016 23' Jayco Red Hawk Class C motorhome. My question is how do you open the flap to the stove hood cover vent on the outside of the RV?
14 REPLIES 14

True_temper
Explorer
Explorer
I ground the locks off of my door and attached a push pull cable to it . Ran the cable through the vent hood and put a knob on it. Now I can open or close it from inside.

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Mine also has the two plastic tabs you push up to open. Problem is--you have to push up with your thumbs so hard you think you are going to break them
off. Come on manufacturers, get it right!

dejaroda39
Explorer
Explorer
I fully understand keeping the bugs out but to have it hooked so tightly made it a big chore to pry it open. I couldn't do it and my husband couldn't do it without the use of a pry. Apparently it hadn't been opened for a long time. :h Thank goodness there is duct tape in colors now.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has the snaps too. I think the purpose is to keep it tightly closed when not in use so hornets don't set up in there.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine has this, with the little tabs in the corners, I've actually forgot to lock the tabs, and lost the flapper going down the road.
http://images.dyersonline.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/a1eed0813d52712d6e948f99c3696e26/h/e/hen...
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

dejaroda39
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your advice and hints! We finally got that flap opened but it took some prying to do so. Had to get something really thin to slide into the bottom of the flap and pry it open. There was no way to pull on the two small knobs. Anyway it is now open and will remain so. On the highway we will duct tape it to keep it from flapping. Thanks again everyone.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
After replacing mine after knobs broke, now have close pin... works great

Found a guy that makes them out of stainless steel for the mega spending airstream folks. I'll keep using close pin and keep my $250.00
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Livies Dad wrote:
My Jayco has 2 snap like things that hold it closed. Had to use a step ladder to reach it.. I just leave it unsnaped now and when fan turned on , it opens.

Same on my Jayco
Proud father of a US Marine

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Seems they're all a bit different. The flap on mine "snaps" closed, I have to unsnap it before the fan will evacuate to the outside. The force of the air will not do it. I snap it closed after a trip to keep out bugs.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
My TT has two plastic tabs that you have to turn so that the flapper will open when the fan is running. I don't know if rain would get in when driving if you did not clip it down again.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My previous camper had a turn knob that had to be turned from the outside of the vent.

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
My TT has snaps also.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
My Jayco has 2 snap like things that hold it closed. Had to use a step ladder to reach it.. I just leave it unsnaped now and when fan turned on , it opens.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It should be held closed by a magnet. When fan is turned on, the air forces the vent open.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker