cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires For Tow Vehicle?

nevadan660
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 2500 Duramax and considering new tires and need recommendations. I only use for towing fifth wheel. I want to go from Hankook to Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. I have the Duratracs on my work truck 2011 1500 Silverado and have approx. 15K and very little wear. I like the off road deep tread, although the first 3-5k drives spongie with 55psi load E. I notice alot of Torque on the rear tires/axles and my Hankooks wear to fast. Like to hear from other Duramax/fifth wheel towers/owners input? Thank you for your time. Chris
2005 CHEV-DURAMAX-HD2500-CREWCAB-4X4
2015 ARTIC FOX 295T FIFTH WHEEL
43 REPLIES 43

jts140
Explorer
Explorer
I am the odd one here with Nitto Dura grapplers, great thread life, over 30k on them and still look new. However they don't ride like the OEM tires. Truck rides a lot harder now. Don't think I will use these again.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Curly2001 wrote:
I have never ever had Michelins hit the miles they were supposed to. Always run short of the miles and Discount has always refunded/credited the miles. Going with Transforce next time. Not about money just tired of worn out tires.
Curly

FWIW, My OEM Transforce AT's made it to just under 30K miles.

And I was not happy with my last set of Michelins being toast at 40k.

Go Sailuns, Toyo's, Coopers ,or just about any brand other then Michelin or Firestone.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Curly2001 wrote:
I have never ever had Michelins hit the miles they were supposed to. Always run short of the miles and Discount has always refunded/credited the miles. Going with Transforce next time. Not about money just tired of worn out tires.
Curly

And I was not happy with my last set of Michelins being toast at 40k.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
I have been getting an average of 33,000 per set of Michelin LTX tires on my truck. Tried Bridgestone and had a problem with balancing them. Will look at others not stuck on Transforce but need something that I can live with.
Thanks,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Curly2001 wrote:
Curly

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
If the Transforce wear anything like what my OEM Firestone Transforce HT's did I would stay clear of them. 28K they were worn out, not a good tire IMO.

Plenty of tires out there that have proven themselves much better then what the Firestones I had did, and many that have reported the same results.

Agreed. Terrible mileage. Needed replacing at that same 28K mileage. Wear bars were flush with tread.

I have probably read more bad reports about those Transforce, then good. Makes me wonder why the difference , when I read the good reports.

I rotated mine every 5K , proper inflation , etc etc. They worn down very evenly, and very fast. I had OEM Firestone's on a new Ford Superduty, although not the Transforce, they also were worn out in less then 30K.

Two brands I stay away from , Michelin, and Firestone. I suspect as time goes on the Sailun Terramax AT's will start to show up as a quality tire, same as the Sailun S637 at half the cost of Michelins, Firestone's etc.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
If the Transforce wear anything like what my OEM Firestone Transforce HT's did I would stay clear of them. 28K they were worn out, not a good tire IMO.

Plenty of tires out there that have proven themselves much better then what the Firestones I had did, and many that have reported the same results.

Agreed. Terrible mileage. Needed replacing at that same 28K mileage. Wear bars were flush with tread.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a couple sets of transforce tires, averaging 40-50,000 miles. I bought 1 set of Michelin tires and got 60k miles. I would have gotten them again if not for the price.

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I like the OEM Michelin LTX AT2 that came on my truck and they've been wearing very well to date - I did just throw some Michelin Defender LTX M/S on the wifes Explorer to replace the factory Hankooks that wore out after arouns 18000km's....(terrible treadwear) and those are proving to be quite a nice tire, awesome in the rain.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Discount told me they addressed the sidewall cracking with the new gen Defenders that replaced the MS2's.

Discount tires, and probably many others will tell you what you want to hear. Proof is in the pudding, all the reports of cracking.

MICHELIN quit making the MS2 because of some issues. I did not get as good of service from my last set compared to all the others. They did give a great credit of over $100 per tire towards ANY new tires I wanted NOT just Michelin. I more than got my moneys worth out of those tires!!!

Discount guy mentioned my experience and sidewall cracking was why they developed the defender. I did NOT even ask about cracking as I have NEVER experienced that.

I can say after nearly 20K on these defenders they look great as far as tread wear is concerned.

First pic is last set of MS2's at 40K on current RAM DRW, second pic is about 37K on MS2's on last 11 RAM Dually.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
nevadan660 wrote:
I have a 2005 2500 Duramax and considering new tires and need recommendations. I only use for towing fifth wheel. I want to go from Hankook to Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. I have the Duratracs on my work truck 2011 1500 Silverado and have approx. 15K and very little wear. I like the off road deep tread, although the first 3-5k drives spongie with 55psi load E. I notice alot of Torque on the rear tires/axles and my Hankooks wear to fast. Like to hear from other Duramax/fifth wheel towers/owners input? Thank you for your time. Chris

The *Tow Vehicles* forum (here) might provide more info..:W

:C

prd2hnt
Explorer
Explorer
Another Transforce guy here. Very happy with them on my 2500 Duramax and an 11k 5vr.
Brian & Kathy
Max - 9 year old Springer
'18 Chaparral 30rls
'07 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4 Extended cab, long box
B&W Companion Turnover Ball
'15 Bennington 21SLX

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Discount told me they addressed the sidewall cracking with the new gen Defenders that replaced the MS2's.

Discount tires, and probably many others will tell you what you want to hear. Proof is in the pudding, all the reports of cracking.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III