cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there “Motorhome storage while traveling”?

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
We will be traveling and would like to take our coach. Two placing we’ll be stopping is with family. They would like us to stay with them and that’s fine with us as well. The question is, do RV parks offer storage where you can park the coach without services and just pay a storage fee?

Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you book a site - say for a month in a commercially owned and not government owned rv park, they don't care if you are there or not. They do want to be notified if you will be away. Many people have left their rv's right on their site and gone for a cruise, home for Christmas etc. Now forestry parks, corp of engineer parks , some state and county parks usually have the rule about being gone more than 24 hours. Many campgrounds also have storage areas within their parks that you can store your rv with no hookups and pay a small fee per day.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
dprv4life wrote:
I found that using Neighbor a peer to peer storage marketplace works really well while I'm traveling. It is kinda like Airbnb bur for rv storage.

www.storewithneighbor.com

Interesting, I had not heard of that before.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

dprv4life
Explorer
Explorer
I found that using Neighbor a peer to peer storage marketplace works really well while I'm traveling. It is kinda like Airbnb bur for rv storage.

www.storewithneighbor.com

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Worst case, find a CG close by and just book a site. Leave the MH on the site while you are visiting family, assuming we're not talking a month-long visit. This way the MH is hooked up and accessible, so if you need to pop back if you forgot something, it's easy.

It probably goes without saying, but check with the campground first. Some, mostly public campgrounds I think, require you to not be away from the site for more than e.g. 24 hours at a stretch. I assume that's precisely because they want it to be a campground, not a storage lot.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I am faced with spending 3 to 4 weeks of August at the DW's best friends second home on the Oregon Coast, they will be gone the entire time and the CC&Rs are very restrictive and their parking area would require a lot of 2 x 10's to make leveling ramps so it's off to a storage area at a local campground. I am not looking forward to the hassle of transferring stuff but I just calculated a 21 day stay into direct cost for campsites, I guess the uninterrupted views from their home and free utilities are more than worth it price.

If they were going to be there, I would still do it but it would require a lot of Valium just to keep the DW happy. I like my bed, bath and usual routine, that's one reason we have our rig.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
We take several trips away from our home ( MH) every year . They last 1-2 weeks at a time . We just leave at the RV park. Most storage places want a Month commitment.
We’ve never had a problem and just let the office know we are going to be gone. we have learned never stay , esp with relatives that long if we are visiting with the motorhome and not flying in . I agree most think they are doing you a big favor by having you stay with them , not living in that cramped RV! Actually it’s a pain as it’s not my bed , not my coffee and not my privacy. After the first few times we learned fast to politely decline, find a nearby park and live our normal lives visiting them. Better for all and less stress on them and you.
Bill

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Worst case, find a CG close by and just book a site. Leave the MH on the site while you are visiting family, assuming we're not talking a month-long visit. This way the MH is hooked up and accessible, so if you need to pop back if you forgot something, it's easy.

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys and thanks for you input. I especially agree from the standpoint of staying in the coach. But it’s nice to know the option is there for short term storage as needed. I didn’t know that was an option. Thank you one and all.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
We visit relatives in three different cities and vary each one. In MS I stay in the driveway with 110vac at my son. The two spots in AZ we stay 15 and 35 minutes from them in a campground. Both allow us to relax our own way when the night is over. We also don't worry about who gets up first or sleeps late.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I've done some short term storage in RV storage places, but it is a lot of hoopla and paperwork. Also have had some private campgrounds store our boat, but only while we were a paying customer.

If it is not a long time thing, I would think the easiest option would be to park at their house, or a local campground to keep your food cold anyway, even if you don't stay in it.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also prefer to stay in our own RV. Not only do you get to sleep in your own bed, but you can also regulate your time with the relatives and still have some quiet, away time to yourself. Sometimes you just need that.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trackrig wrote:

As for staying with the relatives. If they've never used an RV for any length of time, they usually want you to stay with them because they think they're doing you a big favor to stay in a house again whereas it's really sort of a pain to pack things up from the RV and move to the house. And then you always forget something and have to go buy it or run back to the RV again. We always insist on staying in our RV when visiting friends or relatives.

Agree 100%. We've visited a lot of family members and we've always stayed in the RV. In one case (my brother), I installed a 50A service connection in his front yard for us to connect to, but that's because we visit them once a year or so.

For the others we visited, we stayed in a nearby campground which had at least electric & water connections. Usually we were only 15-20 minutes away. A few times we were about 45 minutes away. But in retrospect, it was really nice at the end of the day to head to our respective "corners" each night and regroup. This way we didn't interrupt their morning/evening routines other than just a pleasant visit.

People offered to let us stay with them, but we were a family of 6 and often had a dog or two with us. We're kind of tough to accommodate! LOL It really would've been more work and we would've "worn out our welcome" much sooner, I believe. This way, we had 4 & 5 day visits and we were still civil at the end of the visit! LOL

If they're zoning codes allow it and they have the space, can you park in the driveway and connect to 120VAC to keep the refrigerator running? You could still opt to either sleep inside with them or in your rig, but at least if you forget something, you just have to go out to the driveway to get it. Personally, I'd sleep in my own rig...even if I had to stagger out to it after a long night of partying!!! LOL

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If you are near an attraction just google RV storage. They go by the month and/or break it down per day for you.

In Florida there is an RV storage at every corner.

Lot of dealers have an extra lot for them. and btw you will find 'their' monthly rate to be way less than what a CG will charge you per day for just a couple of days! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.