cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan generators

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I was told by a mechanic that an onan rv generator has a life expectancy of 800-900 hours. Can anyone confirm this? My generator has 590.9 hours and needs a control panel for $525., plus install. I am wondering if it is worth it. Any thoughts?

GGeorge
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
19 REPLIES 19

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got my DP 20 years ago and the 7500 Onan so far has never failed. It has about 4000 hours on it. I service it once a year no matter how much I use it.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
GGeorge wrote:
Well it seems I have been thrown a well baited fishing lure. Thanks to all.

The generator is a gas, Onan 5500. I use it to keep the batteries charging while going down the road, keep the residential fridge and a Dometic freezer working, and charge the wifes phone, occassionaly I run an a/c.

If you do go ahead and get it fixed, suggest you run it with more of a load on it to keep it working well.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Onan 5500 gas generator on my motorhome with 3,000 hours. I suggest going to a Cummins/Onan Service Center. I went to a service center in Florida when my gennie would not stay running. And, no dealer or mechanic could solve the problem. Cummins/Onan found that I needed a new circuit board ($400). They had one in stock. Put it on and I was out of there in a couple hours. I think the total bill was about $600. Labor was $135/hr. Yikes. But it now purrs like a kitten. I feel it was money well spent because they knew what they were doing, professional and very customer service oriented. I hope this helps.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 4.0 Onan. It was in an '87 Gulfstream with just 57 hours when I bought it. Needless to say, it would not start, so I dropped it out and replaced the circuit board, fuel pump, plugs and wires, air & oil filter, and I rebuilt the carb. Now it runs perfect and just completed a round-trip to Colorado running the roof air. Almost 80 hours and runs like a champ. Onan is like any other mechanical device, it can break but the odds are reduced if you maintain it properly.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 7.5 diesel and was told by Cummins most run 18000 hrs.

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced mine at 750 hours because I wasn't gonna put 2,000 into a 4,000 generator.
I've had to replace my Onan:
several fuel pumps.
belt
bent rocker arms
worn out push rods
intake manifold gasket
ignition coils
carbureator
Now needs new HEADS!

I totally believe what the mechanic said. I have kept up all the maintenace on my Onan Marquis Gold, yet there is ALWAYS a problem. I have a stand-alone Gilette Generator, and a Honda 2000. On those 2 units I rarely do much of anything. They are totally reliable. If I had a choice to get away from Onan, I WOULD. But ONAN has the RV market. I don't want to pack around a plug in generator so I'm stuck with UNRELIABLE ONAN. I always hear about how rough/tough well built Onan generators are. Not been my experience after 15 years of RV-ing with it. I depend on my DASH A/C over the Onan! Never replaced one item on my Gilette or Honda 2000 generator. not one part! Onan, many parts!

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have a lot of hours on our Onan Generator. We just take it to the shop after so many hours and they clean it up, LOL
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Well it seems I have been thrown a well baited fishing lure. Thanks to all.

The generator is a gas, Onan 5500. I use it to keep the batteries charging while going down the road, keep the residential fridge and a Dometic freezer working, and charge the wifes phone, occassionaly I run an a/c.

I have looked on ebay for a new control panel. But I am afraid I will get taken to the cleaners if I bring new parts to the repair shop for installation. The last time I did that was for my roadmaster tow hitch and brakes. I saved $1400 on buying from ebay then had to spend $1000 more to have it installed "Because I did not purchase the parts from the same store who installed it".

This need more thought! Thanks to all.
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
check these out
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
BobR wrote:
Do some research. What board do you need?
Alot of new boards on eBay for far less money. Also, check online for vendors that rebuild boards.

Board should have a part number on, do an ebay search for it.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Some of my shops service trucks were equipped with Onan Marquis 7000 gas generators with 12-13,000 hours on them without a major overhaul.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
Do some research. What board do you need?
Alot of new boards on eBay for far less money. Also, check online for vendors that rebuild boards.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I've known some Onan RV generators used in a commercial mobile film truck to have run several thousand of hours.

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
We have over 4500 hours on ours. Gas Onan