cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Site length vs unit length

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys. I booked a site at Davidson river campground and the site says max length 38’ and driveway 44’. My camper is 35’ long and with my 12 passenger van it’s like 58’ long. This is my second time with the new 35’ camper. I had a 30’ before.

My question is do these numbers factor in the tow vehicle and camper? I typically jus parked perpendicular to the camper after unhooking. So I don’t need the full site length. But now I’m scared I won’t have enough room to back the trailer in. What’s yours guys experience when choosing campsites.
8 REPLIES 8

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
My TT is just over 30" tip to tip. I always book sites that are at least 35-feet long, that way I am sure I will have a cushion to play with.

Wow, with a TT just 30 inches long and a site that's 35 feet long, yeah I'd say you'd "have a cushion to play with. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is 32ft all in. We book 40 or more feet length sites since long bed truck. Never an issue. Last trip a guy pulled his fiver into what I thought a small spot. Overhang in back made it work with his truck parked sideways.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Call the campground and ask.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
My TT is just over 30" tip to tip. I always book sites that are at least 35-feet long, that way I am sure I will have a cushion to play with. Never know when you might have to move forward or back a bit to get the awning out, or to miss a tree with the slideout, whatever.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
So much depend on the campground it is hard to say. This weekend we stayed at a State Park where our tow vehicle and another car could park side by side in front of the TT. I have been in other parks where you could barely squeeze the TV in at a diagonal.

I have also seen this between sites in the same park.

In general if they tell you the spot is 60 ft. deep, it is 60 ft. deep. If they say it will hold a 40 footer it is difficult to guess the total depth.

Good Luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
With a 35' trailer you've got 9' in that driveway, your van won't be 9' wide so place it across the front perpendicular to the trailer.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You'll probably have no problems at all. Go enjoy! When you back into the site, it's possible the tow vehicle will be in the middle of the road blocking traffic. Don't let that bother you. Folks WILL wait. It's just part of the experience we all deal with. Someday, you also will be waiting while someone is unhitching and their vehicle is in the middle of the road. What goes around DOES come around.

Just back in, unhitch, even if the vehicle is in the road. After unhitching, park like you normally do (perpendicular to the trailer). If campground management doesn't like you parking your tow vehicle that way, and there's no other option, there is most likely an over flow parking for visitors. Just park the tow vehicle there and walk back to the camper. No biggie.

FYI, my entire rig is 59.5 feet in length. I've never had a problem as long as the campsite posted had a pad side longer than 35 feet.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
One dimension that's overlooked is the overhang from the wheels to the back of the trailer. If bushes and trees aren't blocking that, it gives you more room.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman