cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Location of 5.4 vin number on engine

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the location of the engine vin number on a 06 Ford 5.4 engine?
10 REPLIES 10

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
kaydeejay wrote:
Don't Ford engines have a stamped serial number that happens to be the last six digits of the full VIN?
That's what I wondered about.
Isn't that what "matching numbers" is all about when looking at collectors vehicles?
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
kaydeejay wrote:
Don't Ford engines have a stamped serial number that happens to be the last six digits of the full VIN?
That's what I wondered about.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure vin number of engine? On my 03 f350 my 5.4 I've been asked for date of manufacture and once or twice asked for vin of truck itself for brake type related stuff. By vin number part guy looked up gvcw. Turns out brake lines come in different specs. Over a certain gvcw or below. Anymore at ORiellys I look at their computer screen for foot notes to make sure before buying. Not good for me but the heavier duty parts are usually special order and not in stock.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info.

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
I was in the same situation with my v-10 F-450. Found a tag on the engine that stated "remanufactured for Ford" It showed year and month of remanufacture, part number, jobber number etc. I believe it was on the driver side attached to the block. Could view it from under the vehicle.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I know the VIN can tell you a lot about a vehicle, and I believe engine size is among them, but the engines serial # I dont think is tracked that way. What you may be able to find is multiple engine #'s from the block as well as other parts, valve covers etc, and see if the numbers match.

Some of the ford truck sites delve pretty deep into the VIN data, you could start there.
Maybe one of these can help

https://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandservice/vin-guides/

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
What I was trying to determine is if the engine has been replaced.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The V in VIN is for vehicle so why would an engine have a vehicle number.
I'm not sure what number you're looking for.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing you mean the serial Number, look behind and below the yellow dipstick according to this.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ford+5.4+engine+number+location&sa=X&rlz=1C1GKLB_enUS626US626&biw=1280&bih=891&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=DZR_1hqqECx5xM%253A%252CtHM3gshTP8d1ZM%252C_&usg=__oNi0BO3ExNFQFkJNGob9Tq-Ro_s%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiVkpz8jePbAhVD64MKHdqhBcAQ9QEIKTAA#imgrc=DZR_1hqqECx5xM: