cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

At home wifi to the TT?

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at getting some kind of wifi booster extender for use at home with the TT parked in its new spot about 80-90 feet from my home router. I'd prefer a dual band version, 2.4 & 5. When claiming coverage, if listed, it's in square meters or square feet, vice a straight distance. So I have to square root the area for a distance.
What do you use, if any, and would you recommend it for my distance?
When I parked the TT right out my back door on our patio pad, the wifi was adequate but weak. It's a longer distance now, but less walls to go through, if I use the extender in our kitchen.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,
12 REPLIES 12

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
austinjenna wrote:
Run an ethernet cable to the trailer from your house

Cables don't play well or easily with iPads. Then there is the put a R45 connection in /through the TT thing. Add in across my driveway and yard. Impractical for me. Wifi is my only reasonable choice.
Just looking for a longer distance router or repeater, hopefully at a relatively low price ๐Ÿ˜‰
Looking for a simple plug & play fix.

I have been using the Amped Wireless Repeater ($39.99 Amazon Prime) in about the same type of situation as you are inquiring about for over 7 years now and have had virtually no issues. It is not exactly plug and play but is about as simple as you can get as you do not need any networking knowledge as the built-in set-up wizard does it for you. This model is only 2.4ghz but I do use the dual band version that I take in our motorcoach to pull in park WIFI. There are other ways to do this too as already been mentioned (The Ubiquiti products as an example are excellent but do require some networking skill but would have extended range capabilities). I am repeating my house WIFI to my shop building over 300 feet away with the Amped Wireless unit which should meet your requirements without difficulties. I do have a brief description of how I use the Amped Wireless repeater and how I do WIFI with an external antenna on our motorcoach at my blog listed in my signature line if you want to poke around a bit. From a performance standpoint, there are better ways to do what you are wanting perhaps, but not much simpler and inexpensive in my opinion.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:

Cables don't play well or easily with iPads. Then there is the put a R45 connection in /through the TT thing. Add in across my driveway and yard. Impractical for me. Wifi is my only reasonable choice.
Just looking for a longer distance router or repeater, hopefully at a relatively low price ๐Ÿ˜‰
Looking for a simple plug & play fix.
I could try running an Ethernet cable through the basement from my main router to my Apple Express and place that in my kitchen window. I have the extra router for wireless digital sound system control and it's worked out in the open to about 135 feet when I tested it of my porch.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Depending or the location of your home router, you may want to add another router and set it up as an access point. I did that in my detached garage. I just ran Cat5 from the main router to my other router that is set up as an access point in the garage. They're far enough apart that I can even use the same SSID and password for both routers.

LINK

OFF TOPIC:
I also have a router in my RV and a cable modem. Most of the time when camping, we buy high speed cable internet from the cable company.

I don't use that RV router at home. I just unplug it when home and the RV PC connects to the garage WiFi access point.

My RV WiFi also has the same SSID and password. That way our phones and devices connect just like at home so I can also take Alexa and any smart plugs etc along. Everything just connects right up. Alexa doesn't care since the router is named the same as home. All I have to do is plug her in. She connects to the RV router without changing any settings.

I also share the RV's external harddrive on my home network so when at home, I can download videos directly to that drive from the web, or DVD while in the house to the RV in the garage. When we camp, we always have stuff to watch that I've downloaded to the RV.

The main reason I use the same SSID's and passwords is for the smartplugs. That way they don't know they've even left home. They just think the power went off and came back on.

OH! That reminds me "Alexa, turn off the coffee pot" LOL

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:

x2 ... 80-100 ft is nothing for an ethernet cable. get an outdoor rated cable, otherwise the Sun will eat the plastic cable jacket in a matter of weeks.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
austinjenna wrote:

How I did it when I had a House to run a cable from.

But Wi-Fi worked too, I have better Wi-Fi stuff now.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Download and install the app - WiFi Analyzer - on your cell phone. You can then measure your network's signal strength directly on your phone and in the area where you park your camper. My old TP-Link N750 does an excellent job of getting out to 120' though two outside 2X4 walls using 11bgn at 2.4GHz.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
one of these works great to repeat the campground wifi in my camper at my seasonal site NETGEAR EX6100 i use the 2.4ghz band to repeat the campground wifi. the integrated 5ghz band also has its own password and works great for internet and streaming in my camper without taxing the campground wifi with my streaming devices. there is another faster one also NETGEAR AC1200

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Question: Can you see the house router at all from your RV. or in front of the RV? (IF no. you may still wish to read on if YEs GOOD)
2: Do you use the older encryption (not sure what it is called) or the newer method? (Wep2??) If newer Great

Umbiquity Nano Station

I have a Nano Station Loco M 2 (near bottom of the page) it will not do the older (WPA?) but does t...

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wski
Explorer
Explorer
From my experience 2.4 GHZ has a advantage over the 5 GHZ when it comes to distance, but you lose the faster speed the 5GHZ provides. There are several repeaters to choose from. Just do your research and read some of the reviews. Best of luck...

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of ways to do this, and likely any of the wifi repeaters on the market that get good ratings on amazon should work for you. 100 feet should not be an issue, when you are talking 300,500, 1,000 feet that is when things start to become challenging. I use a simple $20 GL inet MT300N-V2 as a repeater to get internet to the workshop shed in my backyard which is just over 100 ft from the house, of course it is 2.4 ghz only, though to be safe it would probably be better to buy the slightly more expensive version with external antennas GL-AR300M that sells for $45 on amazon.

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
Are you running power from the house?

I wonder if these would work. I have used them inside the house with good successPowerline adapter