cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3 row seating dinghy

Johnboy585
Explorer
Explorer
I've been really struggling to find a dinghy tow vehicle with a 3rd-row seat. We have lots of grandkids and need the space. Most I've found are not flat towable. I do want a used vehicle, but not one that is too old since I'm not handy. Can anyone offer suggestions? I don't want the 3rd row to be too small for adults. This is my very first post but my RV is a 10 cylinder Ford gas motor in a Winnebago Vista (30')
7 REPLIES 7

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check out the older GM mid-size guys - Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia. Last time I looked they were flat-towable, but that was before the new 9 speed transmissions.

Be aware that the 2017 and later Acadia is smaller than the others and I have not tested the rear seat accommodations in that vehicle.
The 2018 Traverse and Enclave are actually slightly BIGGER than their predecessors.

EDIT - Ooops, just checked the 2018 Traverse manual - NOT flat towable. My 2016 Acadia was. Must be that new 9-speed transmission.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a Ford Explorer. The 3rd row seats are really for kid sized people, but my 5'2" 120lb wife has ridden back there quite a bit when needed and didn't die.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2013 Chevy Tahoe that has a large 3rd row seat. We often have 4 grandkids and 4 adults in it and it is very comfortable. It's also very easy to flat tow.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Johnboy585 wrote:
I've been really struggling to find a dinghy tow vehicle with a 3rd-row seat. We have lots of grandkids and need the space. Most I've found are not flat towable. I do want a used vehicle, but not one that is too old since I'm not handy. Can anyone offer suggestions? I don't want the 3rd row to be too small for adults. This is my very first post but my RV is a 10 cylinder Ford gas motor in a Winnebago Vista (30')

many vehicles can be adapted to flat towing. suggest you look here. but before buying anything you should know and understand the various weights and weight ratings of your RV.

in general, the maximum amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the GCWR (gross combination weight rating) of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH (defined as the sum of the actual weight on each axle) as it is loaded for travel (includes fuel, fresh water, food, clothing, people, pets, supplies, etc.)

- the weight rating of your tow bar

- the weight rating of your hitch

this is why it's vital to know what your MH weighs as it is loaded and configure for travel before choosing a toad. Your MH will not collapse if it is overloaded but you will experience handling issues as well as longer braking distances and accelerated wear on suspension, brakes, steering, etc.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Ford Flex or Explorer V6 models are flat-towable. The Flex especially has a roomy 3rd row (it has a longer wheelbase than the Explorer). The Lincoln MKT as well. All 3 of those vehicles offer the 3.5L twin-turbo.

Flex rear seat:

MKT:
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Havenโ€™t seen a third row seat where adults would be comfortable.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the exact drivetrain it has but the Chevy Suburbans in some years have 4 down towing ability and are have for at least 5 years.
Weight though could be an issue for a class a gasser.