cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator won’t start

Fauxqui
Explorer
Explorer
All batteries are fully charged. When I push the generator start button all of the power goes off. I can start the generator after I start the truck and everything seems to work well. When I turn it off everything continues to work. Is this a simple fix?
16 REPLIES 16

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
might want to check the plug between the generator and your RV. I have seen more than one corruded pins on the plug between the microquiet diesel gensets. unable to start by pressing interior button(s) but able to start/stop using button on genset.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Fauxqui
Explorer
Explorer
Onan generator. 2008 Itasca 31’ class C
All is good today. Thanks for the help.

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
Make and model of rv or trailer please
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Did I miss the make/model of the generator?
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Fauxqui wrote:
I appreciate all your help.
So, in the category of “strange things happen “, I pushed the inside button to start my generator this morning (we’re camping in a state park) and it started right up. Do I still have a problem?

At the moment, no; but it will probably return. Loose or intermittent electrical connections do not tend to get tighter and more solid over time. (But it can be very trying to attempt to diagnose a problem system that refuses to not work when you're actually troubleshooting it.)

Fauxqui
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all your help.
So, in the category of “strange things happen “, I pushed the inside button to start my generator this morning (we’re camping in a state park) and it started right up. Do I still have a problem?

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Another quick PS:, you can't be in two places at one time, so I am a firm believer in test lamps with long leads and piezo horns. If the inside start/stop switch is some distance from the solenoid(if there is one), you can hear or see the aforementioned devices when checking the solenoids function..
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question, yes it is an easy fix, no finding the problem may not be.

That is a really old joke, sorry.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
What is different between the wiring for the interior start/stop switch and the one on the generator? The switches are in parallel, the cable to and from the battery and the output of the generator and the connectors seem to be good. So what is in the circuit from the battery to the interior start/stop switch. I don't know, I'm a motorized guy and if it was my rig I would say it was either the battery control solenoid or the battery disconnect solenoid. My guess would be that you have a very high resistance set of contacts and the load from hitting the start switch is opening the contacts.

Like I said, I'm not a trailer guy so I'm not sure of how the batteries and the truck is wired, if it were me I'd look for a wiring schematic or hopefully one of the guys know what to look for.

Another thought is that there is a constant duty solenoid and the stress of starting causes that solenoid to de-energize and therefore, you lose all power. All I see is that either the start stop circuit or a heavy duty solenoid circuit is faulty in some way.

If nothing else the guys at "etrailer" should be able to help or direct you to help.

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Fauxqui
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I didn’t try to start the generator from the unit itself. I was trying to explain the problem. The issue is that when I try to start the generator from inside The RV buy pushing the button on the panel it causes all of the power to quit. All the lights go off, fridge stops working, radio goes dead. I can the start everything by turning on the truck engin. I can also start the generator.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
this is very different from your first post.

Fauxqui
Explorer
Explorer
The generator starts when I push the start button on the generator but not the inside switch. When I push the inside switch all the power goes out.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
By all means check wiring and connections. Be sure to check GROUND connections as carefully as you check the Positive. We've had a couple recent cases where the Ground Cable at the Generator was the problem.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If you are plugged into shore power and the lights go out when you press the start button there is a chance that only corroded cable ends at the battery are to blame.

If you disconnect from shore power and the slightest load causes the lights to dim or go out, then it would be bad batteries or batteries that are not being charged.

Go pull the shore power plug and see.