cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil Change Interval

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2015 Toyota Sienna van. The warranty is almost up. My question has to do with the oil change interval shown in the maintenance manual. It stipulates a 6 month/5k miles interval between changes. I've been using the dealer for oil changes while under warranty. I will use 0W-20 synthetic oil as recommended by Toyota, but it seems to me that 5 month intervals are too short,,especially for synthetic oil. I think that time frame can be stretched considerably (I don't put on a lot of mileage, mostly around town).

BTW, there is a brand of synthetic oil (I think it's Mobile 1) that guarantees a year between changes. Your thoughts? Thanks.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
37 REPLIES 37

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
The quality and quantity of the additive package found in Amsoil is a primary reason they have extended drain intervals. I send in an oil sample every other oil change and the test results always show a big level of additives that are still present in the old oil. Say fooey all you want as everyone is an expert on oil, or so they think. It’s a very subjective topic as there a lot of “fake news” about oil floating around the internet.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen some pretty good reviews on Walmart's Super Tech Synthetic oil.

I've never before used synthetic oil in any vehicle I've owned....always dino oil, and my vehicles always ran well with no oil related problems. Even so, I'm pretty sold on synthetic now, especially since my latest vehicle, a 2015 Toyota van, calls for 0W-20 oil and newer engines often have tighter tolerances between metal parts. I may go with the Super Tech synthetic and pair that with a good oil filter. Truth of the matter is, it doesn't matter which brand of oil one prefers, as long as it's changed at the right time.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
From what I've read, Royal Purple has better advertising than lubricating properties. It's rated pretty low in many tests, I wouldn't run it in my lawn mower. But it costs a lot so people think it's really good oil.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I find Amsoil to be mostly fooey. If Amsoil was the 'holy grail' of lubricants, everyone would use it. It's not. Amsoil, Lucas, Golden Spectro, all are mostly advertising hype.

I'm with you there. My newly-licensed son recently bought an '03 Grand Prix GTP with 70k miles on it. The original owner used Royal Purple in it exclusively its entire life (filter, too). When it's cold it had a horrible lifter tap. Changing to dino oil and the Delco filter cured it. Maybe he wasn't using the right weight - I dunno.

I've always waited for the computer to tell me when to change the oil on my vehicles (well since the new millenium anyway). They're not just time/mileage things - there are sophisticated algorithms that factor in load, heat, etc.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Synthetics shine in another area. They are able to get into tighter clearances more easily, which is another reason some car manufacturers recommend them. If a good filter is used, that should help extend the life. Some folks change the filter regularly between oil changes, but that can be messy and also waste some oil. I would go for that if the filter was located near the top of the engine (mine isn't). I think Mercedes Benz has that arrangement.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr. ed wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
The 6 month oil change policy comes from Toyota and other manufacturers. I have no idea why that is necessary and what data supports the requirement. Personally I cannot understand how oil is going to deteriorate sitting inside the engine.

It's true. Oil itself doesn't deteriorate but certain additives can. Plus, there is contamination from other sources inside the engine (combustion byproducts, for example).

So engine oil additives deteriorate over time and additional deterioration occurs due to exposure to combustion byproducts. I would think those same factors would cause deterioration of expensive synthetic oils. Many of us are not going to see any improvement in longevity with synthetics because they will still need to be replaced every 6 months.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
The 6 month oil change policy comes from Toyota and other manufacturers. I have no idea why that is necessary and what data supports the requirement. Personally I cannot understand how oil is going to deteriorate sitting inside the engine.

It's true. Oil itself doesn't deteriorate but certain additives can. Plus, there is contamination from other sources inside the engine (combustion byproducts, for example).

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
An oil change every six months is a waste of oil and money. Since it's out of warranty, who really cares if Toyota wants more of your money by doing your oil changes.

X2. The dealership likes to have repeat customers as often as possible. Allows more chances to upsell on other services which may or may not be needed. You've gotta expect that. After all, businesses need to make as much money as possible.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
An oil change every six months is a waste of oil and money. Since it's out of warranty, who really cares if Toyota wants more of your money by doing your oil changes.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr. ed wrote:
Spoke to a Toyota service tech today and he specified 10k mile oil change intervals, using proper oil, 0W-20 synthetic. That means I have quite some time 'till my next oil/filter change.

Actually that may not mean you gain any time at all. I believe Toyota wants oil changes done at 6 months. I don't think synthetic would change that.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Spoke to a Toyota service tech today and he specified 10k mile oil change intervals, using proper oil, 0W-20 synthetic. That means I have quite some time 'till my next oil/filter change.

sparkydave
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Goostoff wrote:
If you have any doubt just change it more frequently. Just ask owners of the Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave or the newwer 2.4L Chevy Equinox what happens when you follow the MFG specs for oil changes.

I don't know anyone who owns those. What happens?

Timing chains wear out. I just got rid of my Chevrolet Travesty (Traverse) because despite changing oil religiously every 5,000 after learning about the infamous timing chains, the dreaded check engine light and timing chain codes showed up at 170,000 miles.

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
I always figured the biggest issue with extending oil change intervals was the oil filter getting dirty / clogged. Oil by itself, dino or synthetic, can last much longer than most "recommendations", but the filter gets dirty. If you are going to change the oil filter, you may as well change the oil.

This depends upon the vehicle and its use. I had a Ford Van, 5.4, that I ran 20,000 mile drain, 5,000 mile filter intervals on, and I got rid of it when the rear axle began blowing seals and chewing shafts. Once you are beyond 300,000 miles, it doesn't take much for a repair to become more than a vehicle is worth.

My current work van, a Dodge (Mercedes) Sprinter, runs the same interval. This one is even simpler, as the oil filter cartridge is on the top driver's side of the engine. Open the housing, lift out the cap with filter, change filter in cap, and replace... no oil lost (compared to a quart with the Ford).

The economy of this is especially apparent when the Mercedes engine uses special oil... and 9.5 quarts of it per change. I can get filters online for $2-3 each, so I change them basically monthly, with an oil change about every 4 months, depending upon how busy business has been.

BTW: The Van currently sits at around 369,000 miles, and will be getting an oil change on Sunday when it returns from this trip. It will be about 1,000 miles overdue when it gets back.
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..