cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to level a Class C?

donnyB7
Explorer
Explorer
I just sold my 36 foot class A which had leveling jacks. I am looking at getting a class C, but only one or two have had leveling jacks and those looked like add-on units with a big box next to the drivers seat. For those units that do not have this, how do you level your rig?
Also, how much do those add-on units cost installed?
30 REPLIES 30

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
JumboJet wrote:
Bought the current Class C. On our 4,380 mile trip two weeks ago, 20 Camco Legos were not enough to "level" the motorhome in a few campgrounds - close but never enough. We spent several nights with high winds that moved the camper considerably. There is not a Class C anywhere that will not move with a 10-30 MPH side wind. Trip was in OK, NM, AZ, CA, NV, UT, and back to AR. Windy and stormy except for NV & CA.

Springs and shocks work in both situations - A) they help stop rough road surfaces from transferring vertical motions into the coach, and B) they help stop the coach from rocking in side winds by anchoring the coach to a heavy and wide enough undercarriage that supposedly isn't having it's tires lifted off the ground by the side winds.

Springs and shocks that are stiff in relation to overall coach/contents weight and outside wall square footage will reduce side wind effects. Most RV's don't have too-stiff springs and/or shocks ... they have only adequate springs and shocks.

Our Class C has springs and auto-adjusting shocks that, in combination, can be very stiff relative to it's weight and size. Hence, we don't need stabilization jacks to reduce the effects from any reasonable side winds while camped. We can even travel in fairly high cross-winds with the motorhome's handling remaining well under control.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Sharongutz
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2005 Four Winds that is 21’ and it moves considerably at any movement including crossing your legs while sitting on the couch. Would love to be more stable, but don’t want to pay $3K+ to do it.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 31' Class A without a leveling system. Movement was detected when I rolled over or got out of bed for any reason. Sitting in a campground with gusty winds blowing, MH rockin' and a Rollin'. Elvis would have been proud!

Traded for a 35' Class A diesel pusher with leveling jacks. Nice and stable in everything except a hurricane.

Bought the current Class C. On our 4,380 mile trip two weeks ago, 20 Camco Legos were not enough to "level" the motorhome in a few campgrounds - close but never enough. We spent several nights with high winds that moved the camper considerably. There is not a Class C anywhere that will not move with a 10-30 MPH side wind. Trip was in OK, NM, AZ, CA, NV, UT, and back to AR. Windy and stormy except for NV & CA.

I told my wife before we bought the used Class C a leveling system would be added. She agreed. I have an appointment in White Pigeon, MI to have the Bigfoot Platinum system installed (Platinum system is on sale!). You spend $60,000 - what's another $3,000.

I added a 2nd air conditioner also. Love that Coleman Mach 8 Cub Plus 9200 BTU AC.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
After our first two new to us MH's and not having auto levelers. Now our 3rd one having them.
I can't imagine going back to one without them !

Yeah the first two did the cut the boards, plastic lego blocks that cracked/split etc, trial and error to finally get the rig level only to hear the Mrs saying quit moving around while she's doing her makeup etc.

I tried to add a couple of the scissor jacks to the rear of our second MH with was a pain since there were limited places to actually mount them.

Now we pull up , push a button it self levels, I plug in the shore cord, wife hits a button and out comes slides and runs out the electric awing and we're set up in less than 5 minutes.

As for why do people put blocks under the leveler pads ? Some CG's their place their rules...

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
I wonder what type/size Class C motorhomes owners have in which they are feeling the floor rock as they move around inside?

We have a 24 foot Class C on the E450 chassis with FSD shocks in the rear and it feels rock solid whenever we walk around in it with no stabilizers or jacks. We only level it using wood boards or step blocks under the tires. It just has never been a problem. We are both heavy folks, too.

Reading this thread I was thinking the same thing. My View has Koni Red shocks set full stiff. It doesn't have any movement or rocking when you walk or move. Now, I just bought a Thor travel trailer and while in it cleaning, it bounces all over the place, the difference being it has no shocks at all. It does however, have four leveling scissor jacks.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
As I said in another thread, to me the biggest benefit to leveling jacks is not leveling, but stability. With the jacks down, the house does not move. Otherwise you are sitting on the suspension and the house moves around whenever someone gets up at night to use the bathroom or rolls over in bed.

Our rig is a 31-foot Class C.

But then, I paid $7500 for the entire RV and it came with leveling jacks. Not sure I'd pay $4000 for them but if I was spending $20,000+ on an RV it would have to have leveling jacks.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
I wonder what type/size Class C motorhomes owners have in which they are feeling the floor rock as they move around inside?

We have a 24 foot Class C on the E450 chassis with FSD shocks in the rear and it feels rock solid whenever we walk around in it with no stabilizers or jacks. We only level it using wood boards or step blocks under the tires. It just has never been a problem. We are both heavy folks, too.

We have a 25 ft. MH. All we use are some wood boards DH trimmed to go under the tires. No jacks (seems a little much for our little rig). And very stable. I suppose there is some "bouncing" when we're walking about, but not enough to be a problem...and we're not the lightweights we used to be either.

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
In reference to the OP question, I did the installation myself of a Bigfoot system ($1995) on our previously owned Class C on the Ford E450 chassis so did not have the cost of installation but, Quadra does have specials periodically that include the cost of installation. We considered our Bigfoot system one of the most appreciated modifications we did to that motorhome.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm glad that what you have works for you. The purpose of this Forum is for folks to share information for the benefit of those who are trying to make informed decisions. Nothing personal but if another opinion varies from yours that's OK too.

Not sure what your stability problems are. :h Sitting on 6 properly inflated tires has been working real well for us for 5 years. Guess we are just lucky to not have your issues.

:C

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
"Huh ?? "dramatically reduce your available payload" ? I just installed Bigfoot levelers on my C, the whole kit was maybe 150lbs."

I called Quadra Customer Service and spoke with Jeff this morning. He stated that their leveling system weighs 257#.

I just checked my UPS shipping info, the Platinum system I got which comes with one pump was 5 packages totaling 181.2 lbs...so mine is probably closer to 175lbs installed. Call Jeff and see.....
Anyway, this is a tough site to have a different opinion than someone else. I still don't see that as "dramatically reducing payload", but anyway to each his own. I've used both methods extensively at some real un-level sites, I'm very happy with the Hydraulic system. With that said, wood planks worked fine, as I said the difference to me is the stability.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:

X-2, do I notice a little movement, yah A LITTLE, nothing worth spending $3000.+/- over.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Huh ?? "dramatically reduce your available payload" ? I just installed Bigfoot levelers on my C, the whole kit was maybe 150lbs."

I called Quadra Customer Service and spoke with Jeff this morning. He stated that their leveling system weighs 257#.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
CloudDriver wrote:
Helimech wrote:
Lynx Levelers - 10 Pack $30

X2 - We carry a couple of packs but seldom need to use them. As long as the site is within 2-3 inches of level both side to side and front to back the refrigerator and us are both happy.

Absolutely!

Auto levelers dramatically reduce your available payload and most Class C's - especially the larger models, are painfully short of payload to begin with. Leveler reliability is hit or miss and leveler failures can be a disaster. Also note how many folks with levelers are also using the yellow Leggo blocks... what's up with that? :h

IMHO: The ability to merely push a couple of buttons and "Presto" your coach is level sounds appealing but folks... leveling with a $30 set of blocks takes no more time and works just as well. Save your money and payload initially and if after a couple of trips you still think you just can not live without them by all means go for it... but go with your eyes wide open to the realities of the cost and weights involved.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

Huh ?? "dramatically reduce your available payload" ? I just installed Bigfoot levelers on my C, the whole kit was maybe 150lbs. Heck I used to carry 40-50lbs of 2x10's to level it. The leveling actually wasn't the main reason I got them, as others have said the stability difference is huge. Now when my 17Y/O rolls over in the upper bunk I don't feel like I'm in a waterbed in the rear of the MH. To each his own I guess, but we are very happy with the hydraulic jacks. Oh, and we didn't go with the auto level (platinum system), so not in it for bells and whistles here.