cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GOOD SAM vs. AAA Road Side Assistance

wowchad
Explorer
Explorer
We used to have Good Sam (3yr.) road side asst. coverage, but after my wife had a tire blowout on our smaller dump trailer I decided they were good for nothing and didn't renew.

Now I am thinking about getting coverage again and wonder what other members have found on Good Sam coverage vs. AAA with trailer coverage?

Mind you I don't use any other services except Road Side assistance, even buying from Camping World isn't something I'd normally do so that benefit is also pretty much useless to me.

Good Sam has sent me emails and paper mail CONTINUOUSLY since I quit & it's so annoying that alone may sway my decision ๐Ÿ™‚
18 REPLIES 18

chrispitude
Explorer
Explorer
This is a timely discussion! I'm deciding between plans.

We used to have AAA in the past, but now we have Paragon Motor Club. Since we just bought a TT, now I'm reassessing my options.

Requirements are (1) my wife and I are both covered, and (2) 100 mile towing for tow vehicle and trailer.

• AAA Plus with the RV add-on is $157/yr (100 mile tow limit).
  • Paragon Advantage is $168/yr (100 mile tow limit).
  • CoachNet is $179/yr, but only tows to the nearest facility.

So unless I find something better, it looks like I'm switching from Paragon back to AAA.

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree with you .most stuff you cab fix on the side of the road good enough to hobble to a repair station.i even changed the push rod on the side of the hiway in Georgia once probably wouldn't do it again but you can always jury rig it to get by.other times you just have to call road service.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I had a road hazard break a spring, the road service that came as part of my Progressive policy took my information, called me to tell me there was a tow vehicle dispatched with in twenty minutes, called an hour layer to assure the vehicle had arrived. Called me latter in the evening to make sure everything had been handles properly.

Quite frankly, I have never had the patience to wait for road service for a flat tire. I can change out a TT flat in 20 minutes. I used to be faster but I am old now :).

With a "Tire-Aid" I suspect my wife would tackle the job, since she does not have the patience to wait for anything either. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
If you pull utility, boat, or a dump trailer be sure to read the fine print, many ERS plans exclude those vehicles.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Consider Coach net
Many in here have said they have had much better experiences, and Coach net understood that sometimes two trucks were needed, one for the tow vehicle and another for the trailer when the tow vehicle has broken down. AAA supposedly doesnt cover that second tow truck.

We had CoachNet and AAA at the same time (CoachNet was free for a year after purchasing our HTT). Our Tow Vehicle's fuel pump died. Very long story short: We wanted to be towed to our destination, about 80 miles, and then drop the TV at a mechanic's nearby. CoachNet would not do that for us. They would only tow us to the nearest campground and mechanic, which did us no good. AAA Plus with RV towed us the 80 miles, got our camper situated on the site and then towed the TV to the mechanic. Turns out AAA and CoachNet both "hired" the same driver to tow us. The driver complained that he had been towing for CoachNet for a few months and had yet to get paid.

AAA Plus will send 2 trucks, where standard AAA will not. At least in our Region, AAA South. When we lived in NJ, AAA Plus also covered 2 trucks.

We had AAA Plus for almost 20 years and they've always taken care of us. There were a few times when it took longer than we would have liked, but they always got someone to us. We've needed to have our HTT and TV towed twice because of TV breakdown. Both times we were out of our region.

What I like about AAA is that it covers any vehicle the card holder is in. If your getting a ride from a friend and his car breaks down, no problem, call AAA. Plus the 10 - 15% discount that restaurants, hotels, campgrounds and other businesses offer card holders usually pays for itself.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

flguppie
Explorer
Explorer
I had GS for our RV and still had our AAA coverage (hadnโ€™t cancelled it yet) too. I had the truck break down at home so I thought I would use my new GS and see how things went. I called them and they said they would tow the truck to Midas Muffler as that was their closest service agent. I asked if I could get them to tow the truck to my guy at another shop and pay any differences in mileage and they said no. Only their service agent. So, I called AAA.....no problem towing where I want.

I dropped GS and keeping the AAA+RV .
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2014 KZSpree Connect 220rbk
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
Some AH cut for tires and we were refused service called it vandalism. Other time was left on the side of a major hiway with a frozen caliper .sorry no one can't come for four hours.Other than that they have been great when we didn't need them.In both cases they apologized and said it should of never happened.this was there platinum plus plan.And we had been a member for 25 years at the time.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
classic 31 wrote:
What is good Sam plan for $70.00
When we dropped them we were paying $219.00 for the platinum plus plan and we were still left with sorry not covered. I would like to know what $70.00 will get you.
Ok I just looked it up the $70 you stated is actually $79.00 and is introductory for new members only it is usually $50 more than that and the reg price of the 3rd and better plan is about $180 The same as coach net.GS didn't show the platinum plus plan and I believe that they did away with the plan
Just curious what was not covered by the Good Sam platinum plan? I have that plan but fortunately have never had to use it.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
I have had GS roadside service for 29 yrs. On 2 ocassions my trailer had to loaded on a low bed trailer. 1 tow cost $1200, the other cost $ 1300! That along paid for years of GS service ????

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We choose C - CoachNet
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
What is good Sam plan for $70.00
When we dropped them we were paying $219.00 for the platinum plus plan and we were still left with sorry not covered. I would like to know what $70.00 will get you.
Ok I just looked it up the $70 you stated is actually $79.00 and is introductory for new members only it is usually $50 more than that and the reg price of the 3rd and better plan is about $180 The same as coach net.GS didn't show the platinum plus plan and I believe that they did away with the plan

wowchad
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-net is $180 a year, Good Sam is $70.00 & AAA is only $49
Assuming you get what you pay for though...

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coach-net been with them for many yrs used them 4x in the middle of the night while traveling, no issues. They cover any car you or your spouse happen to be traveling in.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
wowchad wrote:
We used to have Good Sam (3yr.) road side asst. coverage, but after my wife had a tire blowout on our smaller dump trailer I decided they were good for nothing and didn't renew.

Now I am thinking about getting coverage again and wonder what other members have found on Good Sam coverage vs. AAA with trailer coverage?

Mind you I don't use any other services except Road Side assistance, even buying from Camping World isn't something I'd normally do so that benefit is also pretty much useless to me.

Good Sam has sent me emails and paper mail CONTINUOUSLY since I quit & it's so annoying that alone may sway my decision ๐Ÿ™‚

AAA has more restrictions/excemptions than Good Sam. Good Sam is designed RVers unlike AAA which primarily designed for regular cars.