cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you tell the campground?

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I bought my trailer it was sold as a 27 footer. But, including the tongue and the bumper it's more like 30. When the campground ask I have always said 27 feet because that's what it's labeled as and that's what I bought.

When asked, what do you say?
41 REPLIES 41

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 23' and we always tell the campground 26' just to be safe.;)
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
I always add about 3 feet so I am sure to have enough space.
pawatt

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's a really good practice to know the actual length of the trailer from tongue to tail and the total length of the trailer and tow vehicle. And like others have said I'd tell the RV camps how long your trailer is from tip to tail.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
Slightly off topic but I once had the opposite problem reserving a campsite if you can believe it....Reserved a site over a year in advance in the path of the solar eclipse that used to be a double pull thru type site. In recent years the management changed the double site to a single site I guess because it was maybe a little short of a pull thru to accommodate two rigs... I was so happy to get this site until a couple of weeks after I reserved it I get a phone call from the campground asking me how long my rig is..Because if it was under 40โ€™ they were going to consider splitting my site into the original two sites to accommodate another camper.
Well, I nearly blew a gasket over this and I was honest about my rig being 32โ€™. Fortunately the lady doing the reservation was on my side and said that as long as she told the campground owners I was 40โ€™ that there wouldnโ€™t be a problem. I told her that we were seriously in the market anyway for a 40โ€™er so that saying I had a shorter rig at the time wasnโ€™t being totally untruthful. I mean my 32โ€™ fiver and crew cab dually takes up a lot of space!
We never did buy the bigger rig and in retrospect I would have paid the extra money to reserve the other site if needed but it all worked out as it was a wonderful campsite at a perfect campground for the eclipse experience.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine is 37 ft and I always say 40 ft

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I give them the published length, not the box length. Has never been a problem. Generally FHU sites have a parking curb in the back that if need be, I can back the tires up to and hang a few feet of the camper off the back of the pad. Generally gives me plenty of room to park the truck in front of the camper without lawn parking.

I generally research the specific site I'm reserving through the reservation website and look for obstacles that might be a problem for my slideout, that I have some extra space behind the site (not right up against a tree or something else) and that there isn't a low tree on the awning/camping side of the camper they will prevent me from putting the awning out.

Love websites that include pics and descriptions or even camper reviews of sites.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
This is why I like trailers that tend to sit high... Or if you can put a couple 2 inch lift blocks on the axles. With those you can usually (depending on what is behind the site of course) back the rear over the curb stop. When I had a class A (32 ft.) I'd fit it into several sites that were in the mid 20 foot size range, just because I could hang the butt over the stop.
Chris (KD7WZW)
2003 Tiffin Allegro Bus M-32IP

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:
When I bought my trailer it was sold as a 27 footer. But, including the tongue and the bumper it's more like 30. When the campground ask I have always said 27 feet because that's what it's labeled as and that's what I bought.

When asked, what do you say?

When campgrounds ask what ??
If they ask for a model number I tell them its a 28RK.
If they ask how long is your trailer I give them a rounded off 32' number (31' 10" actual length).
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
I always allow for the tow vehicle, which combined with the trailer is 48' so just to be sure I ask for a 50 ft. spot. So far I have never had to park the tow vehicle off site.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
My Jay Flight is the 23RB model. The box is 23' 4". The length, bumper to ball, is 27' 2".

If I'm asked the length, I say 27'. I don't think 2" will be a deal breaker.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is 32 feet with out the storage rack down. I have told by some parks I need to be under 50 feet total to use their sites. I simply back as far to the rear as possible and all is good. Vehicle is not on the road even when uncoupled.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Grateful_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a 28 model - but actual length is 33 feet. There is also quite a bit of rear overhang that can be utilized, assuming there aren't any directly behind the site. So you may just want to talk to campground, but be honest - I know some the commercial campgrounds (Disney/Jellystone) are going to put you in the smallest possible site for your rig, so I sometimes add a foot or two with those.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems this is only an issue with private parks, where the only thing you can be 100% sure of is you're going to be packed in tighter than the wallets in peoples pockets at a free breakfast in Quartzite.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
My Jay Flight 23RB is 27ft 2in in length from bumper to ball. I use 27ft when they need a length. The box is 23'4" long.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch