cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Macerator extension cord

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I want to make an extension cord for a macerator pump. I want to add about 10 or 15ft to the existing cord so I can reach the TT battery. I plan on using 10 gauge wire. Is that big enough? I would like to add an inline fuse. What size fuse would be correct?
Has anyone made their own 1" extension discharge hose or is 3/4" all I need? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand
6 REPLIES 6

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! It is a Flojet so your suggestions are exactly what I needed.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
I made up a cord also but did fuse the line at the battery to protect the cord. Used 10ga outdoor lighting wire.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 10g wire is fine. Check the fuse in the macerator and use that size fuse (but no larger than 30 amp). I made a cord for exactly that purpose and didn't fuse the cord because the macerator is already fused.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
10ga is good. If it's a Flojet pump there's a 20A fuse in the switch.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

I just made one for my Turbo 300 and used 10ga... That was noted as the size on their website for the run I wanted..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
I want to make an extension cord for a macerator pump. I want to add about 10 or 15ft to the existing cord so I can reach the TT battery. I plan on using 10 gauge wire. Is that big enough? I would like to add an inline fuse. What size fuse would be correct?
Has anyone made their own 1" extension discharge hose or is 3/4" all I need? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You haven't told us which macerator pump you have but instructions for the FloJet I have call for 10 gauge for a 10' to 20' run. However, I had some 12 gauge zip cord in my workshop and used it for the run from the tongue back to where I mounted a Bargman connector next to the waste gates, about 20' ... been working fine for years, no issues at all. To protect the cable I ran it through a length of black hose that's zipped tied to the trailer frame. There's no need for additional fusing with the FloJet as there's a 20 amp fuse in the switch handle. The run from where my FloJet is located to the sewer intake stack I installed on the house is ~ 50' so I use that length of 3/4" hose, as recommended by the manufacturer. I'd only use a larger diameter output hose if the run was much longer, over 75'. A series of 10 pics start here.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380