cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black tank valve stuck shut!

Steve_McKinney
Explorer
Explorer
Hey fellow campers! Could use some more advice. Just found out tonight that my black tank valve is no longer connected to the metal rod I pull beside the camper to dump the tank. Yes.....the dreaded BLACK tank! I imagine that this has happened before. I was wondering if any of you have removed the rod and screwed a long screw into the valve just to open it one more time? I really would like to drain it before I replace it don't you know?

Thnx again in advance!
7 REPLIES 7

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I got a long wood screw with threads on both ends. Screwed into short wooden broom stick. Drilled where handle used to be. Drilled hole works as pilot hole for screw. Have something to catch little stream that will squirt out. I just put old rag over it. Maybe a gallon and my handle was about 9:00 position.

And pick up new valve first so you can get all the messy work done at one time. Matter of fact I still carry spare valve.

I hope somebody has cleaner or better way than me.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
You might get lucky... is it just unthreaded?
If so, pry away enough chloroplast that you can see the thread the handle attaches to, and re-attach the handle. I did this more than once on my old Keystone. (Thankfully, the handles came loose at campsites and were not lost along the highway.)
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
I think its plastic. I cant think of a thing without making a mess in the back 40. Yes I would do that.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

Steve_McKinney
Explorer
Explorer
thanks guys. Yes the rod pulled off at the gate. My thoughts too Charlie of hoping to screw something into it to open it. Do not know if it is going into metal or plastic......

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think he means that the rod pulled off of the gate and the gate is stuck shut.

Steve, I wonder if you could get some sort of wood looking screw welded onto the rod for you and then stick it back the hole. Then turn it into the gate hoping that it would grab good enough that you could then pull open the gate one last time ????

I don't know. Just the first thing that popped into my head.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure I understand your situation. Having the handle break happens on occasion - if that your situation you can use some pliers when your at the dump facilities and pull the metal rod which will open the valve gate. Replacement handles are readily available for about $3.
Kevin