cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Fiberglas Polish

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Catching up on some deferred maintenance on my TT...the last time I actually waxed the TT was I can't remember when....then we bought this fixer upper of a house by the beach and I still didn't have time, so I paid a guy $400 to detail the TT in 2016. I don't know what he smeared on there but it looked great for a few months, and then 10x worse after it wore off.

After some research I found this 3M Marine Restorer and Wax. This is a one-step compound and wax in one.

I applied with a 6 in dual action polisher and a medium cutting foam pad and it really cut through the heavy oxidation and left a NICE shine.

If you are fighting oxidation with a filon gelcoat like my TT I would recommend you give this 3M product a try.

Here are a few before/after side-by-side pics, this one is polished on the right, oxidized on the left:

Straight on pic, polished on teh right:

Look at the line even with the leading edge of the window:

7 REPLIES 7

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
I used the pad and polisher that I linked to in my original post. Just put some on the pad, put the pad to the surface (this stops the machine from flinging the polish) and start the machine. The package recommends 2'x2' sections, and I go up and down in rows then across in rows until there is only a light haze left, then just wipe the residue away with a microfiber towel.

Thank you :C

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used the pad and polisher that I linked to in my original post. Just put some on the pad, put the pad to the surface (this stops the machine from flinging the polish) and start the machine. The package recommends 2'x2' sections, and I go up and down in rows then across in rows until there is only a light haze left, then just wipe the residue away with a microfiber towel.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Something I know very little about ๐Ÿ˜ž

Looks good! BTW, don't you hate how hard it is to capture in a photo the full astounding contrast between paints and polishes? LOL.

Can you tell us how you apply the 3M? Do you put a little on the pad and then go over it, or wipe it on the wall, then go over that?

My apologies for questions likely elementary to many ๐Ÿ˜‰

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just went right over the decals with the 3M polish. Not sure what the decals are made out of but the 3M for sure cleaned them up.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bar Keeper Friend is another alternative for removing the oxidation and for polishing. BKF contains a very mild abrasive but the main cleaning agent is oxalic acid. For the final finish, I used ZEP. I will never go back to using standard waxes. The ZEP acrylic finish has lasted a year so far and still looks like new.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
What did you do on the decals?

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I have used that on my daughters boat. It is good stuff! Sure did a nice job on the trailer.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand