cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't fill tank at pump.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
So I've tried several times to fill up at the store vs. cans and it will barely take in fuel from the pump at all, if it does I have to pump it as slow as possible and it takes for ever.

The vent tube at the top of the tank looks plenty large enough and I can't see any obstructions.

Any ideas ?
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion
14 REPLIES 14

dedmiston
I just fill mine with jugs. It's nearly impossible to get my hauler into any of the local gas stations. And even then, the pumps shut off a lot sooner than they should. I had the same problem with my last hauler too.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Check both fill and vent for obstructions, pinching, and correct routing. On my toy hauler the vent hose between tank and filler flange was pinched and routed with a low point that would fill with gas while filling. This caused the filler neck to burp and shut off nozzle.
Also, my fill hose was pinched and twisted as installed by factory. Once I fixed the problems my filling problems went away.

Something that can help filling issues is to pull trailer up onto a couple of leveling blocks/boards. This helped filling my trailer before I had a chance to investigate and fix the problems.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
thd wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
I have to turn the nozzle upside down, 180 from what you normally would do.

Most likely from the almost horizontal fill tube and most likely a roll over valve of some sort.

Once I did this inverted filling I have had no issue.

This is what I have to do too. And I removed the roll over balls too.

It does help a lot if I do that actually. It's really a PITA though.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

thd
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:

Most likely from the almost horizontal fill tube and most likely a roll over valve of some sort.

This is what I have to do too. And I removed the roll over balls too.

reppoc12
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 same motor and trans and never a problem at truck stops or small stations. If you do not want to go to the dealer you can easily see the fill tube, vent line etc from under the truck. Has it always been this was or is a new problem?

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
My vent tube was pinched and an easy fix.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Y-Guy
Are you still under warranty? If so let the dealer figure it out I'd say.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get one of these from Amazon for $32.

Wireless Endoscope with 11.5' lead.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Vent tubes have been known to be installed with the bottom of the tube INSIDE THE TANK resting on the bottom of the tank, thereby making the vent inoperative.

Check the vent hose for kinks/obstructions. If it looks ok, you may have to drop the tank. Not really a big job, drain the gas, then just put a floor jack under, and remove the straps. Be a good time to change the fuel filter that's probably inline for the generator as well.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver2 wrote:
There is a wasp that like to nest in tubes. Blowing into the tube could send the nest down into the tank. Remove tube at tank and blow out.

Agree with this...have had this happen more than once on my fresh water overflow line.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Get a bore scope for your phone and look to see what's messed up then fix.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
There is a wasp that like to nest in tubes. Blowing into the tube could send the nest down into the tank. Remove tube at tank and blow out.
Turret Class traveler

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
It sure sounds like a vent tube problem, try blowing backwards on vent tube. Could be plugged in lower part.
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.