cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge to freezer?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone modified an inexpensive "dorm fridge" to operate as a freezer?

Some replace the thermostat with a chest freezer version, others just jumper the thermostat and use an eBay temperature controller.

Other than burning out the compressor by extended its duty cycle, what could go wrong?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
7 REPLIES 7

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
Another issue to contend with is the fact the refrigerant can slug back to the compressor as a liquid and crack the reed valve as a ref evaporator is not designed to operate at freezing temps. Yeah for awhile it will appear to work, but I wouldn't depend on it for my frozen storage items. Instead I would sell the little ref and purchase an Artic King for around $74.00. The correct tool for the job.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Bought five GE's for the hotel
Had to set them on 5 out of 6 to keep them under 50F
They ran 24/7 before I got smart and bought full size 12 cubic foot Samsungs
Which ended up using less electricity and bringing down the temp another 10F

Why?
An inch of cheap insulation ain't gonna cut it.

Also the rooms were cooler with real refrigerators

MrWizard
moved from 'technology corner'
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BC_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small 2 door (freezer and fridge compartments) 3.2 cubic foot dorm fridge in my trailer. It can struggle to keep up when the ambient temps get above 85F. I suspect that in these temps, the compressor life is exponentially shortened as it runs a lot.

If you want to go a similar route, buy a small 3.5 or 5.1 cubic foot upright freezer then use the temperature controller and divide the freezer with the bottom half being a freezer and the upper being a fridge. The trick is to use a good piece of thick insulation to separate the 2 compartments. There are some Youtube videos that demonstrate this.

Edit:

I also mounted a 120 mm computer case fan at the back base of the fridge and it sure helps to keep the compressor temp down.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wasted power, possibly burn up the compressor..

Freezers tend to have MORE insulation than a dorm fridge so converting a dorm fridge into a freezer while technically possible by replacing the T stat can be done, it will use much more energy by having to run the compressor longer and more often.

It is for the insulation reason as to why some folks have converted chest freezers into off grid refrigerators. The high insulation R value and the chest configuration means the compressor will run very little and that makes it off grid compatible.

You are better off to buy a small chest freezer, yes, they are a bit more expensive than a dorm fridge but they ARE purposely designed for the job.

Use the right tool for the job..

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds dangerous to me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
What could go wrong - what if the refer catches fire from the electrical system being overworked and burns everything up. If you're going to try it, I'd put it outside on a cement or gravel pad for a couple of weeks to see what happens.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.