cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cooling fan dust problems.

4wheelfool
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2000 country coach diesel pusher. The cooling fan blows air against the block/pan & goes straight down. If I'm in a dusty area so much dust blows up I can hardly see behind my coach, even at idle. Has anyone had the same problem, & found a solution to it? Thanks ahead of time for any help.
4 REPLIES 4

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of things:

Your fan controller could be bad causing the fan to run on high all the time.

If you have the dash air running, it will command the fan controller to cause the fan to run at a higher RPM. Also if you have selected "vent" it will also cause the fan to run at high RPM.

A way to solve the problem is to install a wax valve and get rid of the electronic fan controller

lfeather
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2004 Country Coach and I installed an aluminum panel at the bottom of the radiator area to prevent the fan air from blowing against the ground. It minimized or sometimes eliminated any dust storms.
Larry, Debbie & Max the Pug
USAF Retired
2014 Itasca Reyo P
2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i 6 speed manual transmission

William_Willard
Explorer
Explorer
4wheelfool - That is a problem with most side radiator coaches -- Mine did that until I had the hydraulic fan controller changed -- Contact Source Engineering in Eugene, OR --- Bill Willard

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. The two pushers I've owned blow the air out the back of the RV, not towards the engine and pan. The rad fan sucks air past those items and they usually aren't bothered by dust from the rear tires. If you're going too fast of course, then the front tires will kick up a lot and send it back.

I will say that the possibility of lots of dust being blown around the engine area is certainly high when on a dusty road, but I don't always know when that's going to be true. The last time I was on a country road, it was really dusty. I traveled under 15 MPH, usually under 10. I expected my pushers radiator to be heavily coated after I'd stopped, but when I got the hose out, there wasn't much there. The back of the RV and the rad were pretty clean, hardly any dust visible. But under the hood of the towed car, it was thick. Fine enough that it didn't take much to remove it though.

So I'd say it's a **** shoot. Sometimes on a dusty road it's going to be a mess, other times, not so much.

On reflection, I think the side rads can kick up bunches of dust, if that's what you have...but I have only read about people complaining about it and don't remember if they did anything or not...
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.