cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time buyer

GPCamper2428
Explorer
Explorer
Hey there, young family w/ 3 to 4 kids at a time, tired of tenting and looking to invest in a used pop up tent/trailer.

We have a AWD Kia Sorento (V6) with a tow capacity of around 5000lb.
Just looking for a few pointers, tips or suggestions that any of you may have as far as brand, size, useful or not so useful accessories, etc.

Thanks in advance!
12 REPLIES 12

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
GPCamper2428 wrote:
Hey there, young family w/ 3 to 4 kids at a time, tired of tenting and looking to invest in a used pop up tent/trailer.

We have a AWD Kia Sorento (V6) with a tow capacity of around 5000lb.
Just looking for a few pointers, tips or suggestions that any of you may have as far as brand, size, useful or not so useful accessories, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Call your father and heed his advice ... he's been there/done that. 😉
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

lily123456
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your advice.I'm the first time buyer.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I only boondock with my popup thus getting the right one for intended usage is key. No need for AC where I camp and no need for elaborate recreating dual drains at the sink and shower. My first pup was a disaster to camp with. I had to get to site at 8pm, setup camper and be fuddling with drains at 10pm Screw that!
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

b_rharmon
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought it was a good idea to rent for a weekend trip or two before buying. I know it seems like money wasted but it will give you a lot of answers and experience without committing too much. Experience a couple of different floor plans, see what the effect of towing is on your vehicle, learn what you can leave behind compared to when you go tent camping. Learn the difference in set ups and take downs.

Pop ups are like tents up off the ground. The pop up should provide nicer sleeping arrangements and if you want, indoor cooking. As far as how you store your "stuff" and what to do about toilets and such, well how did you handle these issues when tent camping. The trailer should make things easier and allow you to take less stuff.

Good luck and be safe.
Bill DH
Renee DW
Bumper & Willie (furkids)
2002 F250 4X4 V10 W/Tow Option
2002 Coleman Seapine

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the totes under the camper is a wonderful idea - I had forgotten about that. We had 5 totes (there were only 2 of us) 1.his clothes, 2.my clothes, 3.kitchen/food 4.towels and personal hygiene stuff and 5.camping equipment (lanterns, mosquito spray, sunscreen, etc.) They were labelled with what went in them. When we packed up, we would put all the clean clothes in his and dirty in mine. The dirty towels also went in with the dirty. Those were the only tubs we took into the house - the rest stayed in the camper for the next trip.

I also purchased a plastic shelf system that I sat on the counter and it held our food supplies for the week and our TV. DH HAD to have one.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Biker1mike
Explorer
Explorer
A family of 5 -6 will generate a lot of 'stuff'. Skip the indoor bathroom/shower. Look for storage space.
We use the bunks as day time storage and toss stuff in to the truck at night.
plastic 'tupperware' bins that will fit under the camper help a lot.

We managed three teenage girls with all their cloths / make-up/ hair supplies for two weeks at a time in a 10 foot box.
Mike
'12 Honda Ridgeline pulling '07 Rockwood pop-up

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Start small and don’t overload the Kia. Popup requires carrying extra camping gear in tow vehicle. I have a k2500 sub and load the complete rear of truck, front trunk of pup, and inside area of pup closed lol. 3500lb 12 foot pup with slide and front trunk
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
That Kia should be around 1300 to 1500 pounds of payload.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
A nice 5-8 year old popup with a 10' box should be enough room for you and your kids. Make sure there is no leaking or holes in the canvas/vinyl. Don't try to do the bigger popups with bathrooms, but get you a little potty to use for the kids AT NIGHT ONLY!

You should be okay with that being pulled by your vehicle.

I don't know where you are, so I used the Hudson Valley craigslist to look for a popup.

This one will probably weigh too much since a slide adds a lot of weight to the trailer.
Coleman BaysideThis one is 2600 lbs.

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2012-rockwood-popup/6582573795.html This one is 2500 lbs.

Whereas, this one in Syracuse would probably work since it only weighs 1700 lbs.

Jayco Quest
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I always tell first time RV buyer to but used (3-5 years old) and start small. A pop-up is a good starting place.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I did a quick look-up for a 2017 Kia Sorento AWD

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is 5622 lbs
Curb weight for the vehicle is 4343 lbs

That leaves you 1279 lbs for all passengers and stuff you're going to carry in the vehicle. Once you deduct passengers and stuff you're left with something close to the maximum tongue weight the vehicle can support which is going to be 10% ~ 15% of the trailer you tow.

Another way to look at this is considering a 5,000 lbs trailer. A 5000 lbs trailer is going to place anywhere from 500 ~ 750 lbs of weight on the tow vehicle (tongue weight should be 10% ~ 15% of the weight of the trailer). That weight is deducted from the payload of the vehicle which means you're left with a maximum of 779 lbs to as little as 529 lbs for passengers and stuff if you are towing a 5,000 lbs trailer.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing you need to do is confirm the actual maximum towing and PAYLOAD capacity of your vehicle. That is going to tell you the gross weight of the trailer you can tow with your current vehicle. In many cases the maximum payload is the limiting factor so it's important to know that number as you begin your search for a trailer IF you don't want to upgrade the tow vehicle also.