cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Meaningless thing to make you go Hmmm

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the reason the rear ladders on some RV's are mounted on the right, like mine, and some are on the left?
There is no reason ( that I can See)that mine couldn't be mounted on the left. Not really important in the scheme of life, just going hmmm. :h :B
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
20 REPLIES 20

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
John ... I really like your handle "Optimistic Paranoid"!! It says so much in just two words.

It reminds me of a couple of other longer phrases:

- "If you're not paranoid you're not paying attention."

- "Prepare for the worst but hope for the best."
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
What is the reason the rear ladders on some RV's are mounted on the right, like mine, and some are on the left?
There is no reason ( that I can See)that mine couldn't be mounted on the left. Not really important in the scheme of life, just going hmmm. :h :B

The art school dropout who was hired by the manufacturer to be the "designer" was told to make it look "sharp" and "classy" without spending any real money. So he decided to move the ladder to the other side.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingbob wrote:
What do ya need a mounted ladder for , the roof ain;t stong nuff to walk on ?

Our Winnebago's roof is strong enough to walk on if I was foolish enough to stand up while up there. It's one piece fiberglass and nicely crowned for added strength and water runoff.

I've had to get up on the roof at home, at campgrounds, or while parked along side the road for various reasons down through the years ... not standing up though ... I crawl around up there on hands on knees to distribute my weight and for better personal stability once climbing up using the permanent rear ladder.

I'd NEVER buy an RV that I (or another helper when I'm "old") couldn't climb up on using it's built-in ladder. There's just too many surprises on trips that can come along anywhere, anytime - plus roof maintenance at home is so much easier than having to mess with getting on/off the roof using the dangerous ladder on the side method.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:

You may need to go on a diet.??
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
IN my case the ladder was mounted on the driver's side because the Shower is on the curb side. But I think it's installer's preference in many cases.

Then again, in my case the ladder was mounted on the passenger's side because the shower is in the back on the driver's side. Of course the ladder installer then had no choice because of the shower's roof bubble being back there on the driver's side.

I prefer the ladder to be on the curb/passenger side anyway, so that I don't have to go up on the roof to check something along the side of the road (which I've had to do once) with vehicles whizzing by so close.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Why do some RVs have a front kitchen, mid kitchen or rear kitchen?

BTW, my ladder is on the front.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
wanderingbob wrote:

My RV roof certainly is strong enough for me to walk on. It's a fairly rare trip that I don't have some reason or another to want to climb up there to check or adjust or sweep off or clean something, be it pine needles or little sticks or whatever (or even to get some elevation for a better photograph someplace).
X-2 my class c roof is strong enough, been up there Many times at 268 lbs, was just up there last week perhaps
Wanderingbob, you need a new roof.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
I like to think 10 lbs of ladder shouldn't put you over the threshold of your tow vehicle. If so you are way past my comfort buffer zone

X2... Stromberg Carlson's Universal Exterior RV Ladder weighs in at 10.7 lbs, and could be less installed since it's designed to be cut to length as needed.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
I like to think 10 lbs of ladder shouldn't put you over the threshold of your tow vehicle. If so you are way past my comfort buffer zone
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
weight distribution. This way both sides of the axles have the same amount of weight to eliminate trailer sway and a bonus by putting it on the back instead of the front it helps with tongue weight. My brothers weekend warrior ladder was installed on the front making it necessary for him to install air bags on the truck.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:

My RV roof certainly is strong enough for me to walk on. It's a fairly rare trip that I don't have some reason or another to want to climb up there to check or adjust or sweep off or clean something, be it pine needles or little sticks or whatever (or even to get some elevation for a better photograph someplace).

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
jetboater454 wrote:
If it makes you go hmmmmm,just think of all the non campers that see the step ladder tied to the camper ladder.
:h:h :B
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks a lot. Now I won't be able to sleep tonight.
Puma 30RKSS