cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kawi KX450F as a Dual Sport?

Bedlam
I have a chance to pick up a 2013 KX 450F so I am wondering if a light kit is supported and how this would handle as a dual sport?

Any input on this bike?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD
16 REPLIES 16

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
This is not my video, but it gives you an idea of the single track local to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQokxsZjn1k

I can muscle about 300 lbs of bike through something like the above, but would prefer lighter.

Central Washington Cascade riding. That is some of the more popular and easier stuff. Add some Puget Sound special sauce -rain and the challenge level on all those roots is exponentially increased.....

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
Bedlam wrote:

I can muscle about 300 lbs of bike through something like the above, but would prefer lighter.

That's a b I t c h e n riding area we got Arrowhead here and Kennedy Meadows that's similar.

SWEET!
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:

That's a b I t c h e n riding area we got Arrowhead here and Kennedy Meadows that's similar.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Bedlam

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
Dirtclods wrote:
Bedlam~Do you plan on plating this bike as well then. And will you be riding at night I ask because I'm not sure what you state requires to plate it and my other thought was well you do much night riding that would help determine what kind of lights you want to run. Also you my want to re-gear it for as you said highway speeds my bike has stock gears tops out at 80 be holding it at say 65 for a long time it sounds like she's going to blow !

Check out the link you'll need to sign up go to the dual sport guys the can share with you their set ups.

district37ama.org

https://thumpertalk.com/

dirtclods and I come from the same background. I have a plated Honda 450X. It's not easy to do in CA, might be easier in Washington or Oregon but don't have any experience. You don't NEED a high output stator to run regular lights, mine is stock but I don't ride at night. They made a KLX 450 in 2008 and 2009 that has electric start, that's the biggest thing the KLX is missing and for tight trails the power is not right, might need a flywheel weight or a Rekluse clutch.

Gotcha, I'm not much of a wire guy but I wired mine it took some time but I got'r done. I just run a 35 watt light on the front and for a back up in my camel back I have a 1000 luminous bike light I clip to my helmet. And for the foot break just an LED to cut down on voltage. I don't have the Rekluse clutch yet my buddy does on his I've ridden through the tight trails love it. Some day I my have a button on my next bike?? Note: Plated in AZ not CA
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Bedlam
I don't know enough about the Euro bikes to make the plunge and parts do seem limited and costly. I am good at find cross application parts for my buggies, but I don't want to end up with a red-headed stepchild vehicle. I own a 38 year old Honda and 14 year old Kawasaki for which I can still easily order parts even if dealers do not have them and would like to find another bike that also has a good supply of OEM or aftermarket support.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, KTM makes some good bikes, but they sure are proud of their parts if you need any kind of repair. I'd stick with the Japanese off-roaders, they are more than capable and parts are more reasonable.

Personally I wouldn't mess with a motocross bike for trail riding. Gearing, power output, and riding positions are wrong for just putting around. I'd get one that is set up for trail riding, and probably not a 650 either, too heavy. Try to pick one of those up on the offside of a hill. I'd stick to around a 350-450 size, light enough to be easy to mess with and enough power to run hiway speeds if necessary.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the bikes who set the standard right now. KTM/Husky...I have a 350 with a plate and absolutely love it. Beta is getting good reviews also.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Bedlam
The bike will be plated and have mirrors, headlight, tail light and turn signals to be legal. I would rather have a gearbox with a wider spread between gears rather than a close ratio since I am not competing and like my low and high end. If I can make runs of 60 mph for an hour without causing damage, I would be happy since I don't plan long road trips but would like to use it for errands and occasional commutes. I don't plan to ride at night off road but there will be occasions when I leave home or return home when it is dark, so I need legal street lighting.

I'm looking for a lighter version of a KLR650, DR650S or XR650L. Right now, it looks like a CRF450L, DRZ400S or WR450F are the closest to what I want.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
Bedlam~Do you plan on plating this bike as well then. And will you be riding at night I ask because I'm not sure what you state requires to plate it and my other thought was well you do much night riding that would help determine what kind of lights you want to run. Also you my want to re-gear it for as you said highway speeds my bike has stock gears tops out at 80 be holding it at say 65 for a long time it sounds like she's going to blow !

Check out the link you'll need to sign up go to the dual sport guys the can share with you their set ups.

district37ama.org

dirtclods and I come from the same background. I have a plated Honda 450X. It's not easy to do in CA, might be easier in Washington or Oregon but don't have any experience. You don't NEED a high output stator to run regular lights, mine is stock but I don't ride at night. They made a KLX 450 in 2008 and 2009 that has electric start, that's the biggest thing the KLX is missing and for tight trails the power is not right, might need a flywheel weight or a Rekluse clutch.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer

district37ama.org

AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Bedlam
About 25 percent single track NW trails, 25 percent desert UTV tracks, 25 percent fire/lumber roads, 25 percent street (up to one hour of highway speeds) and once or twice a year open sand. The 650 and larger adventure bikes feel a little porky for the riding I like and the 350-500cc feels about right.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I've plated an 04 CRF 450 R it cost me about $300 bucks. I don't hit the pavement much with it but if I want to hit a dirt road I'm legal to do so and a great once and awhile I cuz it to the beach to check out the waves. What kind of riding do you plan on doing with it.

https://www.motosport.com/trail-tech-high-output-lighting-stator-system
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Bedlam
I can get it street plated with a conversion, but it looks like a $500 kit due to stator swap as posted. It sounds like this bike will not have enough trail manners to make to conversion worth it. I have ridden the 80โ€™s XT250 and XL250 bikes and like their low speed handling but want a little more top end. I figured I might get my first bike that is EFI so it handles sea level and mountains better which is why this 450 caught my eye.