cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experienced RVer and TH owner looking for model suggestions

Robert6401
Explorer
Explorer
We've been RVing for about 10 years now, started out with a 38' 5th wheel bunkhouse. This was a nice setup for us with the kids having their own space to include a half-bath. A few years ago, we moved to a 32' 5th wheel TH with a 10' garage, no second half-bath, but was a compromise to get a TH that I was comfortable towing with my old truck.

I now have a new truck, a 2018 F450, and don't have the weight limits I did before. That being said, we'd like to move up to a larger TH that is more accommodating to our large-ish family (6 total, w/ 4 kids between 10 and 15).

Can you all recommend some models that would be a good starting point? The kids need to have their own space/bathroom. Mom and dad don't need a huge bedroom, but shower size is important as I'm 6'5" and about 245 lbs. I'd like a bigger garage than what I have now, but nothing crazy.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
2018 Ford F450
2012 Raptor 297SE
2009 Forest River Sierra 335QBQ
5 REPLIES 5

CHV_FRK
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see many people talking about Jayco's Seismic line. We like them a lot. Looks at the 4113. The only thing I'd change is facing the lofts to the rear so everything is in the garage.
Dana and Natalie

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500HD High Country DRW CC LB 4x4
-60 Aux Tank/Toolbox, Line-X, Full Tint, AirSafe 25K Hitch

2018 Jayco Seismic 4113, 45'7", 17,800lbs w/o the Toys.

redhooker
Explorer
Explorer
slapshot12 wrote:
The Momentum and Voltage were on our short list. From there, we narrowed it down to the Momentum 349 and 351. We went with the 349 for the 13' garage for our kayaks.

We looked at every brand we could could our hands on. We wanted one less than 40' so we can park it at home and something that is SRW towable. With a 450, you won't have to worry about weights.

I'd recommend looking at every one you can and narrowing it down from there. I started by lots of online research to get floorpans we liked, then going to see each one.

I couldn't be happier with my Momentum. We ordered it with exactly what we wanted and we've enjoyed every trip.

We briefly had the same truck as you (CC 4x4 LB-but a 2016), and my max tow rating was 13,600 lbs. The 349M was spec'ed dead empty & option free at 13,500/3k pin so we kept looking. Ultimately I got a 3500HD DRW to open our options up but prior to that I could not find a GD toy hauler that worked with a SRW. Not weight policing I understand many tow above the limits we were just trying to stay well within the margins of safety as we plan to pull this one around the country. I am curious if Ford has upped the ratings?

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
The Momentum and Voltage were on our short list. From there, we narrowed it down to the Momentum 349 and 351. We went with the 349 for the 13' garage for our kayaks.

We looked at every brand we could could our hands on. We wanted one less than 40' so we can park it at home and something that is SRW towable. With a 450, you won't have to worry about weights.

I'd recommend looking at every one you can and narrowing it down from there. I started by lots of online research to get floorpans we liked, then going to see each one.

I couldn't be happier with my Momentum. We ordered it with exactly what we wanted and we've enjoyed every trip.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

redhooker
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently on our 2nd fiver TH, and like you have kids to deal with. We found a lot of things with our first one that we wanted to improve on as well, so we upped the TV to a dually and started shopping. I am not biased by brand, but we knew we wanted a premium rig. So the ones we looked at were Momentum, Voltage, XLR Thunderbolt, Fuzion Chrome, and Cyclone. Each one has some unique features the others don’t so we made a “wish list” to narrow it down (and did NOT get everything we wanted). Our list went something like this: road side kitchen (to have view of our site), TV across from theatre seats, no dinette, no loft, 12 foot or bigger garage, 2nd bath, dark wood and upholstery, wardrobe in bedroom slide with N/S oriented bed, shower with seat, and 3 season doors to patio deck.

Any more than 3 items missing ruled out a coach. And I almost forgot anther limit with no flex was under 4 years old and under 50k. Armed with our list we scoured every dealer within 250 miles and we were basically looking at about 4 coaches. It came down to a 2014 Fuzion Chrome and a 2015 XLR T-bolt 375amp. The XLR was at a better dealer so that was what we went with. I won’t waste your time and try to sell you on our choice, but the above process sure helped us save a lot of time. And buying used saved us a ton of money-we had a XLR dealer offer us a 2018 same model (when he heard we we going south to buy one the next day) for a huge discount at $77k. We got the 15 for $44k

socaladam
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design. Used ones can save you a small fortune and they're built very well for the price.

Another consideration would be Dutchmen Voltage Epic series.

I'm sure others will chime in, but these were the two at the top of my list when we considered a 5r.