cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing With A 460 Ford

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new at this so maybe I'm needlessly worried but. . .

Our 98 Tropi-Cal 33 footer is 460 powered. It burns no oil and the engine and tranny are in good shape but going up a relatively steep hill it downshifts and screams loudly, or maybe it's just that I'm not used to sitting next to the doghouse. My question: Does anyone have experience towing with a 460? Can I do so as long as I don't exceed the design specs? The thing is already slow as heck climbing a decent grade . . . .
Patti, Jack, our GSD Gunner the Wonder Dog and our multtude of cats.
1998 National Tropi-Cal on a 1997 Ford F53 chassis with 460 Ford power.
13 REPLIES 13

TropicalRV
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 97 32 ft Bounder with the 460 and towed my Toyota Corolla from Connecticut to Kalispell, Montana then down through Wyoming and Colorado. I had no problems. This is a very durable engine, but doesn't breath very well due to the intake and exhaust passages. As others have said, a Banks system will breath a lot of life into this, if you really feel the need and have an extra $3000 laying around. Otherwise, treat it gently and take your time. You'll get there. BTW, no more than every three years, have the whole brake system flushed and replaced with new fluid. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and absorbs water from the air. If enough water is in the brake fluid, it will boil when using the brakes hard and you will lose them.
Paul
2015 Tiffin Allegro 32SA, Ford V-10
2002 Honda CRV 2WD

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same engine as you. Just short of her 19th birthday, I rewarded her with a Banks Power Pack. It helps up the hills and getting off the mark. I still like to hear the fan cut in though. It makes the temp drop real fast. As someone said, coming down the hills can be a knuckle binder.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
One key to keeping a 460's OEM exhaust manifolds happy is to never shut the engine down immediately after a long, hot run. Allow it to run at idle or slow speeds for 5-10 minutes to gradually bring the temperature down before shutting the engine off.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
F4Jock wrote:
Gjac wrote:
I think any 460 or 454 will do well with the addition of headers, FF muffler and a CAI. Both run hot and have a tendency to crack exhaust manifolds especially when pulling long hills with a tow on a hot day. Headers will not only give you about 80 more HP for pulling hills but reduce the heat generated and reduce the constant downshifting and fan clucth noise you have now. Also you can add another layer of insulation to the inside of the doghouse to reduce the noise and heat. These mods all helped me with my older 454. Also look at your towing capacity for your MH it is probably 5000 lbs, but a lighter car would be better something under 3000 lbs. Does the MH run hot now on hills without a tow?

Temp goes up some but as yet not hot. Really haven't stressed it too much though. Whose headers do you recommend?
. I an happy with the 30% performance increase with the ceramic coated Thorley Headers, Banks are probably better but much more expensive. Check your exhaust manifolds for leaks or cracks, some of the noise you hear may be coming from that. Is the MH new to you?

Yes, it is new to us but we've had it thoroughly gun over by a competent large truck mechanic and everything engine and exhaust wise is fine.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
F4Jock wrote:
Gjac wrote:
I think any 460 or 454 will do well with the addition of headers, FF muffler and a CAI. Both run hot and have a tendency to crack exhaust manifolds especially when pulling long hills with a tow on a hot day. Headers will not only give you about 80 more HP for pulling hills but reduce the heat generated and reduce the constant downshifting and fan clucth noise you have now. Also you can add another layer of insulation to the inside of the doghouse to reduce the noise and heat. These mods all helped me with my older 454. Also look at your towing capacity for your MH it is probably 5000 lbs, but a lighter car would be better something under 3000 lbs. Does the MH run hot now on hills without a tow?

Temp goes up some but as yet not hot. Really haven't stressed it too much though. Whose headers do you recommend?
. I an happy with the 30% performance increase with the ceramic coated Thorley Headers, Banks are probably better but much more expensive. Check your exhaust manifolds for leaks or cracks, some of the noise you hear may be coming from that. Is the MH new to you?

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a 460 in a 1996 36' Bounder. It's a solid motor that can be even better with a Banks complete manifold to exhaust kit. But, its a very expensive upgrade. The 460 manifolds are the culprit.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I towed with a 97 460 F53 chassis.

It was t the going up part that I worried about it was the downhill part; marginal brakes.

Be very careful. You may need to go down in second.

Bleed brakes often, keep your caliper slides greased often and use Ford OEM high temp brake fluid.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You don't have a turbo or intercooler and the noise is the fan kicking in because of the elevated water temps. It probably has a separate trans cooler but it also runs through the radiator. Both the eng and transmission cause the coolant temps to rise in the hills.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I had a 460 for 11 years but not on a coach that big. Yes they are noisy and adding insulation to the dog house is a subject that comes up often. You also must make sure the dog house is seated properly. A tiny space will let a tremendous amount of noise and heat inside. I believe I did some 1st gear pulling in some of the tall hills in Calif. Highly unlikely you have a turbo. There are aftermarket kits available to help boost the power.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
Yankee Clipper wrote:
What you are experiencing is what's call the "460 roar." The transmission intercooler kicks in when the engine temp goes up under load, and between the mechanical and turbo noise, it can startle you even after you think you're ready for it. The good news is I can watch the engine temp go down almost immediately after the intercooler kicks in.
One piece of advice: if you're towing in hot weather, give the engine a chance to cool down some before you shut down the engine, otherwise the exhaust manifolds might tend to warp and spit bolt caps off. Happened to me, and I had to replace both the right manifold and the bolt set (and Ford gets $112 for a set of manifold bolts (really)). Hope this helps,

Appreciate the tips. Thanks!

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
What you are experiencing is what's call the "460 roar." The transmission intercooler kicks in when the engine temp goes up under load, and between the mechanical and turbo noise, it can startle you even after you think you're ready for it. The good news is I can watch the engine temp go down almost immediately after the intercooler kicks in.
One piece of advice: if you're towing in hot weather, give the engine a chance to cool down some before you shut down the engine, otherwise the exhaust manifolds might tend to warp and spit bolt caps off. Happened to me, and I had to replace both the right manifold and the bolt set (and Ford gets $112 for a set of manifold bolts (really)). Hope this helps,
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief