cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Placement of CO2 detector?

MTBob
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Northern Lite TC that has a carbon dioxide detector that has failed. It is mounted on the inside above the entry door. Instructions that came with the new replacement advise that since CO2 is heavier than air, that the unit should be placed near the floor.
I've been using the camper for over 10 years, and the old unit was installed above the door by the manufacturer of the camper.
The beds are located high in the TC, over the truck cab, slightly below the elevation of the detector.
I'm wondering - where do other RV's have their CO2 detector located?
Thanks
MTBob
Bob
2002 10-2000RR Northern Lite
2008 Chevy 3500 DMAX, SRW,
2001 Lund 1700 Fisherman
29 REPLIES 29

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
mobeewan wrote:
accsys wrote:
rk911 wrote:
ljr wrote:
CO2 is the good stuff that makes plants grow. CO kills people.

Why would anybody have a CO2 detector?

because it too can kill. internal combustion engine exhaust contains co2. think suicides in a vehicle. the OP had a truck camper...slide-in.

Again, you are talking about CO (Carbon Monoxide) not CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) which is the gas in soda water and all carbonated drinks.

And some fire extinguishers.

...and your breath.
Larry

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
We live in a society where we praise "common sense", where opinions are more important than facts and where scientists are viewed as absent minded eggheads.
x2

And if science ever makes a mistake, then nothing they say can be trusted.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
We live in a society where we praise "common sense", where opinions are more important than facts and where scientists are viewed as absent minded eggheads.

There is a huge difference between CO and CO2. CO is extremely hazardous and can quickly kill. CO2 is basically harmless unless there is so much that it has displayed all the oxygen in the air. That difference alone is one reason we might care. Another is the appreciation of just basic high school level science.

Location of detectors can be important. Smoke detectors work best when they are located high in the center of a room. If you have ever seen smoke in a room it is easy to understand why. The smoke rises, travels across the ceiling and only slowly mixes with the air. Propane is heavier than air. We cannot see it but it sinks, travels across the floor and slowly mixes with air. Propane detectors should be placed near the floor again in relatively central areas of the room away from corners and dead spaces.

The CO detector can be placed in any location, at any height. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21536403

Location is not important because CO diffuses and mixes with air extremely rapidly.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
rk911 wrote:
ljr wrote:

because it too can kill. internal combustion engine exhaust contains co2. think suicides in a vehicle. the OP had a truck camper...slide-in.

Again, you are talking about CO (Carbon Monoxide) not CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) which is the gas in soda water and all carbonated drinks.

And some fire extinguishers.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
It's is my favorite.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
wopachop wrote:
Who cares if you call it co2 or CO.

Obviously anyone who cares to live should also care to call deadly carbon monoxide gas by it's correct name as not caring can be deadly. :E By your argument one could post they just bought a new banana and want to know if they can safely tow it with their 1/2 ton ton truck. Good grief, calling anything by it's correct name is obviously important. :S

Try not to have a heart attack SG--you can't win these things. Look how people say "sunk" and "shrunk" when they mean "sank" and "shrank"-- it is so cringe-worthy. More to your point, "they" have taken to say "pesticides" when they mean "herbicides"

Don't get me going on how somehow it became ok to use "careening" instead of "careering". How stupid is that?

Must be the same people who translated "chaise longue" into "lounge chair" and that river in Oregon from "Rouge" to "Rogue". Can't be helped.

Then there are those who keep writing "tow the line" and "hair brained" (Toe the line is how merchant sailors had to step forward to get paid, and of course a hare is a rabbit) How about "baited breath" --is that some kind of fishing thing? Nobody knows what "bated" means apparently.

Oops, now I might have a heart attack! ๐Ÿ˜ž
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess to some people it is extremely important. :B

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Who cares if you call it co2 or CO.

Obviously anyone who cares to live should also care to call deadly carbon monoxide gas by it's correct name as not caring can be deadly. :E By your argument one could post they just bought a new banana and want to know if they can safely tow it with their 1/2 ton ton truck. Good grief, calling anything by it's correct name is obviously important. :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I prefer the CO detector a bit higher than lower. Since CO is generally a result of incomplete combustion I assume it is warmer and will rise when first emitted into the RV.

Actually when I replaced my propane (combustible gas) detector I opted for a combo propane/CO detector so now I have CO both high and low position ๐Ÿ™‚

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
rk911 wrote:

CO2 can very much kill too, if enough accumulates to displace the oxygen. This is a very real danger in silos and some mines, among other places. Some of them would even be equipped with CO2 detectors for safety.

Suicide by engine exhaust is very nearly impossible with modern cars that are running properly.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
ljr wrote:

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a combination Smoke/CO detector to replace our old smoke detector on the ceiling over the driver's seat. We also replaced our LP detector with a combination LP/CO detector which is mounted on the wall near the floor in our hallway. That should cover our CO detector needs!
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Wasnt a stupid question. I learned a lot. Who cares if you call it co2 or CO. We all know what you were asking. My CO detector came from the factory on the ceiling and came from the previous owner without a battery. Need to get on that pronto.