Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rusty stovetop repair

Andonso
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I have an older 88 Class-B camper van with a stove top. frig, sink and converter.

The stove top is a Wedgewood W7103 three burner.

Listed in Atwood Range Service Manual http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodrange.pdf

Burners work fine and appear have little use as there's no dirt grease and grime around the burners. Other than for some corrosion inside the the burner compartment, appears nearly as when new.

However the top chrome plate is rusted and I'm wondering the best method to clean it up? I've read of people sanding chrome stove with fine wet/dry sand paper then buffing the chrome. Any pitting may still be visible. Since the camper van is 30 years old it would be difficult to find a replacement chrome top plate.

I don't really want to purchase a new stove top as the currently installed one fits perfectly in the cut-out with little space over the refrigerator. The stove top valves, burners and grates appear to be hardly used.

Anyway I'm looking for suggestions to restore the stove top. The Dometic RM2301 frig located underneath is also in good shape, runs well off of AC, DC and gas.

6 REPLIES 6

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Did you try chrome cleaner for cars? That's what I use on our chrome stove top.

Don't know if that would work if it is stainless steel...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

There are places that repair and re-chrome auto bumpers.
Maybe find one of those and get it chromed.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Try rubbing with aluminum foil, shiny side of the foil. Sometimes this works.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Black powder coat. They can bead blast it first. Probably cost you less than a hundred dollars and you will have something that will look good for years to come. Do a web search on powder coaters. You would be surprised how many there are.

Andonso
Explorer
Explorer
I'll look into that. However we don't have any paint shops that i know of within ~30 miles.

From another forum I found people sand blasting then powered coating. One person id in white powder coat however the white turned yellow after a while from the heat of the burners.

One person stated this type of stove top is brushed stainless steel and one can sand it down which may make it look even more brushed.

I guess I can sand it down to see what it looks like after sanded and then paint if neccsary with some engine enamel.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You might look into having it powder coated. Very durable and heat tolerant.