cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Roof Air

vjswhippet
Explorer
Explorer
In my 2008 Sprinter Van, I have added a dinette booth, TV, small microwave and use a small heater when needed .. I usually stay at RV parks and run a flat Ext cord thru the back doors. I'm wanting to add roof air that I can plug in to electricity, not while running down the road. Has anyone had this done ??? I thought I'd have a few internal outlets or at least 1 that I could run the micro when needed or a lamp or the TV. I also have a 1000 watt inverter I use with the aux battery. A friend has a sprinter that she plugs in external air. Just didn't know if I'll need a breaker box inside ? or just the plug going from inside the van to the outside where I'd hook up to the electricity

any suggestions or information would be appreciated ...
Vickie Smith
Kansas City area
2020 Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS
3 REPLIES 3

vjswhippet
Explorer
Explorer
We have a portable air conditioner and when we've used it in our back room it will shut down if temps get up close to 100. I don't trust it for my dogs. 😞
Vickie Smith
Kansas City area
2020 Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
For as small an area as your looking at a small rooftop unit like the Cub mach 8 would likely be enough. But the opening size is still the same as a 15k unit.
Since your van will be parked when you ar using this, have you considered a portable AC? 6000 to 9000 btu models are readily available. Get one if possible that uses two hoses for heat transfer and you will find them more efficient. The hoses can be run through a piece of luan or plastic mounted when you park in a front window opening.
Cost should be in the $200-$300 range for a single hose model, slightly more for a twin hose.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds lke you are on a budget. RV roof mounted A/C units are EXPENSIVE and probably more than what you need for a van. It may not look nice, but figure out how to mount a small window A/C unit.