Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plumbing leak help

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi everyone,

Need some help identifying a part that is leaking. What is it’s function?
Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel
12 REPLIES 12

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

OK, WHERE should it be installed?????? Doug

I reinstalled mine by hanging it on the barn wall, never seen a drip after that.

I'm sure that a manufacturer could hang it in a large pipe that drains outside, in an outdoor shower, or any number of other possibilities, but that would cost minutes and a few bucks. It ain't rocket science.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

Instructions no doubt crafted under guidelines provided by legal counsel...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Lynnmor wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
The purpose of this check valve is to keep from siphoning black water out of the tank. It is mounted HIGHER than the tank system. 99% of these valves are located in the Bath Lavy sink area. They leak from a few things. BUT THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO LEAK AT ALL. The plastic Check valves do not like high water pressure, especially if you open the fresh water spigot full force. Always start out with a slow opening of your fresh water spigot, then increase to full force. They also leak because people FORGET them when winterizing. They will freeze and then blow water out the next time you flush. I advise to use a BRASS check valve instead of the plastic valves. I cannot remember if I ever had a brass valve leak or fail at all. You can put a standard 1/2 inch check valve in place if you do not want the vented type that comes standard. I believe the Vented standard ones are required by code. Doug

Copy & paste from the instructions for the most popular model:

The atmospheric vacuum breaker shall not be installed where the venting of water from the device during the normal functioning causes damage.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
The purpose of this check valve is to keep from siphoning black water out of the tank. It is mounted HIGHER than the tank system. 99% of these valves are located in the Bath Lavy sink area. They leak from a few things. BUT THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO LEAK AT ALL. The plastic Check valves do not like high water pressure, especially if you open the fresh water spigot full force. Always start out with a slow opening of your fresh water spigot, then increase to full force. They also leak because people FORGET them when winterizing. They will freeze and then blow water out the next time you flush. I advise to use a BRASS check valve instead of the plastic valves. I cannot remember if I ever had a brass valve leak or fail at all. You can put a standard 1/2 inch check valve in place if you do not want the vented type that comes standard. I believe the Vented standard ones are required by code. Doug

Copy & paste from the instructions for the most popular model:

The atmospheric vacuum breaker shall not be installed where the venting of water from the device during the normal functioning causes damage.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
i just replaced mine. The second time was a charm thus far. :h

The water expelling occurs only at certain pressures and flow rates, you are not out of the woods yet.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
i just replaced mine. The second time was a charm thus far. :h

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
scootsk wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
That is a vacuum breaker/check valve for the black tank flusher, the manufacturer states that they can expel water and are to be installed where that water will do no damage. RV manufacturer’s cannot read and put them wherever it is convenient for them. Some folks replace with a higher quality one, but I just simply eliminated the stupid thing and made sure there is a check valve in the inlet. We can expect others to point out the error of my ways.

Where the water will do no damage? Right over two 120 volt junction boxes!! SMH!

Yeah, mine was directly above the twist lock electrical inlet, (you know, the one with the wires completely loose), and right next to my silverware drawer.

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
That is a vacuum breaker/check valve for the black tank flusher, the manufacturer states that they can expel water and are to be installed where that water will do no damage. RV manufacturer’s cannot read and put them wherever it is convenient for them. Some folks replace with a higher quality one, but I just simply eliminated the stupid thing and made sure there is a check valve in the inlet. We can expect others to point out the error of my ways.

Where the water will do no damage? Right over two 120 volt junction boxes!! SMH!
Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like a shut off valve, but a check valve makes more sense.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer