cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shipping Container RV

steditrak
Explorer
Explorer
I looked high and low but couldn't find one to save my life. Has anybody ever built a shipping container RV? I made a crude drawing of what I think it would typically look like. Then again, I never saw one before so what do I know?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nYt4dLCp2-2Klw_8d0EsWRdoRHS9Ri-N
30 REPLIES 30

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I see lots of construction offices being built out of used containers. If you have a class 8 truck to move it around with, why not?

MrWizard
Seditrak

It appears you are going to be the first one to do this
Please come back with pictures and keep us informed of your progress
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh wouldn't that be the pride of the RV park.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I've looked at some of the shipping container videos of various builds and, IIRC, one big drawback is the floor. Most have a solid floor built with lumber that has been bromide treated (common for Intl shipping). That prevents any rot and insect infestations but may not be a good thing to live on top of. I seem to recall one builder tore out the floor and replaced it with plywood, a not inconsiderable exercise.

IMO, a straight truck or an enclosed utility trailer would be a better starting point.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Creative idea for sure, just not a realistic idea.

As someone has mentioned, weight is a major drawback.

A truck with 20K of cargo capacity will not be cheap to buy, nor to operate and some places may require commercial registration.

They are also not as strong as one would think, roof is one of the weak points since the containers are designed to handle the weight of other containers on the SIDES (Mythbusters tried burying some shipping containers for a project and less than 1 ft of dirt on top collapsed the roof in).

Containers also sweat in the winter and become hotter than heck in the summer.

Modifying steel does not come cheap, hiring a welder/cutter to make the mods could cost as much as $200 per hr in some areas..

Shipping container doors are not as "secure" as you might think, they are designed real simple and are locked via a standard off the shelf pad lock..

A cheap Harbor Freight $19 battery powered grinder with a steel cutoff wheel will get that container open in less than 30 seconds. Sure, it will make noise, but if you are not around, you will never hear it.

Have seen plenty of posts on other forums which folks bought a shipping container to store expensive things like tractor frontloaders/ATVs or building materials on remote land only to come back to finding an empty container with the lock cut off and on the ground.

Personally, if you are this concerned about someone breaking into your RV, you ARE in the wrong neighborhood to start with. Might be far cheaper and easier to simply find a SAFER neighborhood.

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, during my years in the FL Keys, long time ago, living in a single wide, the forced entry method was cutting through the roof. Wasnโ€™t much of a roof and the โ€œratsโ€ made a hell of a racket up there ๐Ÿ™‚
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Problem is it gets kind of dark and dreary if you have no windows or doors.

If you have windows or doors, expect them to come in thru those.

If you dig around about RV break ins, they don't go thru the walls.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of housing being built from shipping conatiners. Here's an article about a few projects.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I sort of understand the concerns for security. The problem though is that break ins occur at the weakest point which is typically the doors and windows. Going thru the wall of a structure is usually reserved for the movies.

Even Fort Knox has a door.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Watched an extreme houses or similar program where the guy used connex boxes to build a house. One of the issues he found was the strength was on the edges and he had to reinforce all the walls, top and bottom- especially when cutting holes in the sheets.

Spray foam (2 part professional) and skinning on inside or outside would make a huge sound and isolation difference.

If you use rubber body mounts or something similar to isolate it, could help with vibrations during travel or while running genny, etc.

A generator/refridge unit over the cab might be nice for power and A/C ๐Ÿ˜‰

Don't forget the slats in the windows and turret on top! ๐Ÿ˜›

I think it is a cool idea ๐Ÿ˜‰

BTW, might be interesting to use a dumpster loader style truck and then make these as "deployable living" for seasonal or long term living ๐Ÿ˜‰

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
steditrak wrote:
Of course, my mind was already made up. That's why I asked if anybody ever built a shipping container RV. I wouldโ€™ve thought that was obvious from the start.

Ive seen many people building homes and even apartment blocks out of these,,plenty of vids on YT,,
cant beat the price and strength thats for sure..
Also the steel those are made of will never rust,,its similar to galvanized..

https://youtu.be/pnYm4J2vmB4
Rv
https://youtu.be/lMb4cG5xL0Q

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
if you want something for the 'Zombie Apocalypse' why not use an armored car like the Banks and Treasury use ?

BUT in your case, even repainted it would attract attention
too many 'people' would want to know whats in there

He could put RADIOACTIVE MATERIALS sign on the side,,that would keep everyone away ๐Ÿ™‚

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Too heavy. Would not make much sense. I might be a good vehicle if you are concerned about an Zombie Apocalypse but I can't find much more value there.

^^^^ This.

steditrak
Explorer
Explorer
Of course, my mind was already made up. That's why I asked if anybody ever built a shipping container RV. I wouldโ€™ve thought that was obvious from the start.