cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

generator tray

DUKEGRAD71
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 94 class c that the original generator was replaced by an off the shelf model. It was not working properly so I bought a WENN 4750 watt generator Dimensions are 26x17x17 . After the original one was dumped the owner built a tray that reaches 3" below the bottom of camper . Its just a steel tray recessed 3" that's mounted on side rails on both sides. It was bolted in so it wouldn't slide out . I need a sliding tray that will allow me to pull generator out and be able to fill it up with gas and let it stay out while running. Generator weighs 106 lbs. So I need one to support that weight. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one at a reasonable cost ? I have been looking and it seems as soon as you enter RV the price goes up 10 fold like my Mercedes does. The tray in it now is getting rusty and I would like to replace it. Anyone with pics/ plans I would like to see what you built if possible. My tray looks like this I_x_I . Generator fits where x is. the "I"s are side of tray upper Part that slides on lip on side of compartment . I appreciate any help you may have in terms of location of a slide or plans to build one. you may email me at unccgrad@live.com to send pics or plans
Thanks for any and all help
11 REPLIES 11

DUKEGRAD71
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for reply. I was thinking about using a piece of wood for it to sit on and then size doesn't matter that much. Just as long as it sits on it. True it doesn't weigh much . Mine only weighs 96 lbs. so its easy to maneuver. Just have to figure a way to mount slides on sides of compartment. Ill take some pictures and post them next week . Thanks again
Earl Dagenhart

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
I looked that unit up, and it seems that without the wheel kit, it might sit in a 24x24 battery tray, since it doesn't appear to be full width at its base.
A 24x24 tray would support the weight of at least four six-volt golf cart batteries. The WEN weighs less than that.
If you build your own sliding rack, the bottom doesn't have to be metal. Plywood would work every bit as well, probably be quieter.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

DUKEGRAD71
Explorer
Explorer
The WEN (one N) generator is 26 side to side x 17 tall x17 deep. Interior compartment is 30wide x 20tall x 21 deep.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Generator NOT on a slide is a build cost saver. Generator ON a slide is a maintenance cost saver...

Kwikee, MORryde, and Ez-Glide are a few sellers of slide-out battery trays. Biggest I saw in a quick search was MORryde 24x24 for $175 but there are probably others.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
It may be a long shot but you might look or call one of the several RV salvage yards around.

The older,2005 or so Majestic,A Former Cruise America Rental,had a slide out generator according to a member here.
gotsmart wrote:

I should add that the 28R has surprised several RV technicians for being a rental with a slide-out generator. I open the generator cover door and can pull the Onan Microquiet 4000 right out.

These were made by Four Winds so the non commercial ones may have them too,you might be able to modify one for your use.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
It's WEN. Just one N.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Can you fabricate something with punched angle steel

and drawer slides

Our House Battery is about 90 pounds and I put it on slides similar to these pictured. Pictured ones are rated 130 but they come as high as 500. Came from Home Depot. You want "full extension" meaning that with the right length slide, you can go from hidden inside, to fully outside.
The punched steel is also available there. There's a lighter grade and the stuff I pictured.

DUKEGRAD71
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to pull the generator out of its compartment to operate it and be outside the RV all the time. All exhaust will be outside the RV . According to WENN the generator emits 68 Db.FYI I am NOT a RV camper. I dont camp at all . I am not planning on camping anywhere in the USA. The RV is used as a traveling bedroom for my wife and myself. We have several dogs and motels wont let us keep them in our room. Boarding them is too expensive so taking them along is what we will do. I am not against camping but I dont get any enjoyment out of pulling in to a campground with 100s of other campers some within arms length away hearing everything I say. I pull my car and we go to eat at a restaurant. Shower in the RV . No cooking . Probably wont even use the Microwave.
The generator compartment is insulated very well . I have used the generator in the compartment and didnt find any excess heat or any Carbon Monoxide levels high enough to sound the alarm. The exhaust currently comes out from under the RV and an extension pipe runs up the RV to the top and gases leave the area there. Im not too worried about that . Noise will be reduced as well. Spending the night in it on the road will be at a WalMart or Lowes or some parking lot like that.Just want to be able to slide the generator out of its compartment . Thats all.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Check with a welding shop. They may be able to build one at a reasonable price.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I'd think you'd be better off to construct a tray than to try to find one pre-built in that configuration. Heavy duty drawer slides might be a good place to start.

Before starting on that, give some very hard thought to how you will operate the generator safely and comfortably in the compartment there. How loud will it be? How much heat will it produce, and is there sufficient airflow circulation to carry it away before it builds up too much? Where will the exhaust go, and how will you keep it out of the interior of the RV? The last question is particularly worrisome to me; carbon monoxide poisoning is no trivial matter to be slighted.

Maybe you could come up with some sort of a hoist arrangement to permit the generator to be stored in that location, but then lowered and wheeled aside for use. It would still be quite loud and not exactly welcomed in most campgrounds.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that generator would be so loud you couldn't stand it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman