cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground recommendations near Niagara Falls

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for a campground near Niagara Falls in the September time frame, American or Canadian side makes no difference. Is the best viewing on the Canadian or American side? We are pulling a 33'5th wheel with a Ram Mega cab. Also is Uber the easiest way to get to the Falls or is there good public transportation on both sides? I was there with my folks but that has been a few years back when I was 15, about 54 years ago so I'm sure it has changed since then. ๐Ÿ˜‰ We do have Passport America and Good Sam and numerous other discounts. Prefer to stay away from KOAs as they are not my favorite campground. Don't need any amenities just a clean one campground. I have looked online already and found a couple but not knowing the area it is hard to tell the how they are for access.

My wife has never been there and we plan on going up into Maine (want to eat some lobster) so this would be a good time to do it also.

Also looking for your favorite seafood in the Maine area of Bar Harbor?

Thanks for any advice.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View
15 REPLIES 15

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Although they just moved to Europe to RV, https://wheelingit.us/ visited Niagara Falls last year and have an extensive review. Just search on their blog.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Earlier this month we stayed on the Canadian side at Windmill Point Park
2409 Dominion Road Ridgeway, ON. This is a Passport America campground and was beautiful, It was about 30 minutes from Niagara Falls so my wife and I drove up to look at the lights. At the falls, traffic at night was terrible and we had to park almost a mile away for $10.
You can get information about the park on Passport America.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer we stayed at Branches of Niagara and took an Uber to and from the Falls. It cost us $35 round trip. We did both sides by walking - around Goat Island and then across the Rainbow bridge to see the Canadian side. I think parking would have cost $10 - so we saved all the hassle by spending $25 more.

It was great...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago we were very happy with the KOA on Lundy's Lane on the Canadian side. Shuttle bus stops at the entrance, we never had to drive to the falls.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Branches of Niagra on Grand Island. Plus it's right down the road from Fantasy Island theme park if that's your thing.

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
Stay away from Cinderalla Motal and RV park on grand Island. We stayed there and will never stay there again
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you stay at 4 Mile Creek State Park your camping permit will get you free parking at the Falls at the New York State Park parking near the bridge and also at the parking on Goat Island.
Camped in every state

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, we like the Canadian side better for viewing the falls. If memory serves me right, the Canadian side was also much cleaner, had flowers along the streets etc. Haven't heard it mentioned much if at all in past years, but there use to be a Marine Land theme park there as well.

I'd go w/ Rob's suggestions on parks.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Four Mile Creek State Park on the American side.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
When we took the grandkids to see Niagra Falls, we stayed at the Branches of the Niagra rv campground in Grand Island, NY. This is just south of the falls. Spaces are generous and there are lots of activities for kids.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
On the Canadian side you can buy passes that include some of the attractions and rides on the People Mover. Google Niagara Falls Ontario and you'll get enough info to keep you reading for days. Some of the campgrounds offer a shuttle or a local bus stops - not exactly sure of the details as we live nearby and don't camp.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY,

Thanks for the suggestions.

As for Passports we have them and just renewed so good there.

I not worried about the cost so much as this will be my wife's first visit and doubt that we'll be back as to many other places to go and see.

I would prefer public trans with Park and Rides or Uber because my Ram is a dually. I'm not opposed to parking at the far end of a lot and walking but I know at times in tourists spots it can be rough getting a dually into spaces or getting out when you return finding some dummy decides he has to have some of your space besides his also and parks right up against the rear fender. I usually try to find a space with a concrete curb that I can back up very close to and leaving space on the other side to get out. Sometimes like I stated it bites me right in the you know where.
Butch

2021 Winnebago View

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
A few Niagara posts

Chris,

Thanks for the links

Butch
Butch

2021 Winnebago View

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I can't suggest any campgrounds on the Canadian border near Niagara Falls but on the American side there are two that come to mind that are top notch. If you want a private campground with full hookups Branches of Niagara is hard to beat. It's about 15 minutes South of Niagara Falls on Whitehaven Blvd. on Grand Island, NY. If a State Campground is more your style, 4 Mile Creek State Park is fantastic too. It's about 15 minutes Northeast of Niagara Falls on Lake Rd. in Youngstown, NY but has electric only sites with community water spigots and a dump station. All sites are large and a beautiful view of Toronto across Lake Ontario can be seen if the weather cooperates. It's also known for viewing beautiful sunsets. Both Campgrounds have clean restroom/shower facilities. Which side is better to see the Falls? Personally, we like the Canadian side better but that's a personal choice. Either side is an awesome experience. Why not visit both sides? While there, do a couple of the attractions. The Maid of the Mist has boats on both sides of the border and on the American side, Cave of the Winds is an awesome experience. No need for Uber. Drive to the Falls, find a place to park and walk around. Just make sure if you plan on visiting the Canadian side, you have passports.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.