cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clayton to Murphy N.C.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I'm at my daughter's house in Clayton and thinking of visiting a friend in Murphy. It looks like I 40 to 74 is the best route. I'm wondering how friendly 74 is to a 32' Class C towing a full size pickup ? Anyone have any experience or suggestions with that route?
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect
6 REPLIES 6

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I left Clayton this AM and made it as far as Waynesville. We're staying here for 2 nights. Took about 7 hours to do something like 300 miles. Typical for us. There was one 6 mile or so stretch of climbing along I 40. Was watching my engine and transmission temps climb into the upper 220s. I think the best thing to do is throw out the scan gauge II and not worry about it. :E
Ignorance is bliss. The eng temp looked fine according to the Ford dash gauge. :R

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your route will be fine. We do that area regularly and while it is a two lane beside the Nantahala river as it winds through the gorge, there are pull offs along the way and the curves are not switchbacks or steep hills. Likely will be a lot of traffic due to the canoeing and rafting on the river. That said, buses pulling trailers loaded with rafts run the narrow portion of the gorge with no trouble and do it 7 days a week in the summer.
Do the trip - you will enjoy it.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
amxpress wrote:
Would you consider taking US23 off US74 near Silva, down to US64 into Murphy?

I'll consider anything, since I have no knowledge of the roads in that area.:B
From Google maps, it looks like 23 and 441 are the same road in that area ? I see 441 north of Silva, but only 23 south of Silva.
Zooming in with Google maps, it looks like you and ncscz have given me the same alternate route - thank you.

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Would you consider taking US23 off US74 near Silva, down to US64 into Murphy?
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I am talking about Clayton N.C. and was thinking of making this trip tomorrow. Thanks for the advice on the route, and the heads up on the (possible) delays.

ncscz
Explorer
Explorer
I assume that you are talking Clayton NC and not Clayton GA?

US 74 will be 2 lane through the Nantahala Gorge area (roughly Almond to Topton). Nothing very steep but it follows the river and it is crooked and somewhat narrow in places. Depending on when you travel the section around Wesser can be very crowded.

If it is in the next few weeks, you will be passing the Nantahala Outdoor Center during the absolute busiest few weeks of white water rafting season. Most of the time there are not delays but there is always that risk. (2 lane road, following NC's best whitewater river, 1000s of vacationers trying to get to their outfitter -- what could go wrong? ๐Ÿ˜„ )

This time of the year I would get off US74 in Sylva and onto 441S to Franklin, then get US64 to Murphy. It is about 10 miles longer but it is likely to have much less traffic. US64 has a good bit of 2 lane and has 1 multi-mile uphill pull from Franklin to Winding Stairs Gap but it has truck lane. But it is not a bad road at all.
CarriGo
Model 2320