cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking for opinions on R-Pod and NoBo's

LONO100
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I am a complete noob to travel trailers but I am thinking about getting a small TT for taking my small but growing family through California. My wife and I have been avid and experienced Overlanders. We have spent many years going deep into the Sierra Mountains, Redwoods and pretty much anywhere there is a dirt path in our truck and wrangler, but now with our toddler and my mother in law getting into the great outdoors, I am looking for something I can park up and camp out of in campgrounds with amenities. Basically, something a little more forgiving for a toddler and a retired woman than sleeping on the ground in the middle of the woods.

The two TT's that have caught my eye are the R-Pod RP-182G, and the No Boundaries NB19.7. They both look like they would be perfect for us, but what I need help on is getting some info and opinions on their build quality and brand reputation. I would be towing with either my pick up truck, or my 2017 ford explorer, my truck rated to tow at 5300 lbs, and my explorer at 5000 lbs. I have been pulling my fishing boat with them with no problem for years, and my boat loaded with fuel and gear comes in at 4500 lbs (estimated). Any info, opinions, on these two models, or just travel trailers in general would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.
16 REPLIES 16

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry but I don't have any experience with either of your choices but I do have something to share. You have spent your time, up to now, living in the out of doors, camping under the stars and I am assuming inside of a tent. The wife and I did exactly that although we did not do the backpacking thing. She loved the open air and resisted moving into any kind of trailer.

After one particularly wet few days after we had both of our daughters with us, she agreed to look at a tent trailer. We still camped "outside" but used the trailer when we had to get out of the weather. It afforded plenty of space and it worked well for us. We still had the canvas feel and with the sides zipped down it was like being outside. We camped this way for 17 years.

We then moved up to a hybrid since the girls were gone and we wanted to get out earlier when it was colder. The closed in feeling is what hit us first along with the chore of putting up and taking down when we went on long road trips.

Today we have our current trailer and it works well for a couple of late 60 types who take very extended trips these days.

After reading your plan, I had a flashback to our earlier days. We found the closed in feeling of a small trailer just too much of a change. A tent trailer is small enough and easy enough to tow and you can take them anywhere. We pulled ours up logging roads and through fields. Camped by lakes and streams and had great times.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford Towing Guide for your explorer lists a towing capacity of 5000 lbs when equipped with optional Class III Towing Package and a WDH. The maximum payload capacity is around 1500 lbs (depends on trim level and equipment). The guide also lists a max tongue load of 500 lbs. A 5000 lb trailer will put the weight carried above that.

Your truck may be the better vehicle for towing.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MichiganCampers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2017 Coachmen Apex Nano 193bhs. 3500 pounds unloaded. We really like it and it has a lot of interior room with the slide. No issues with any defects. Have had 7 people inside and felt comfortable. Their line of Nanos might be worth a look.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
We have a friend who bought an R-Pod and I went to help her with the walk-through and initial training. Then she brought it over again and we discussed more after she was using it a couple of times. I'd have to look up the model, it does have a slide (mid-kitchen) and rear bed with front dinette (convertible to a bed).

Very, very little storage. The biggest space is under the dinette, but not convenient to access. What looks like a storage nook under the bed is not, as that's where the furnace is and blows.

She tows with a Toyota Tacoma and for short hauls uses it without the Equilizr bars. I don't like that, as I can see the relative lack of stability.

I'm not aware of any warranty/quality issues, but I don't see her too often.

Do look at the yellow sticker on your SUV to see total payload capacity - Factor in family and gear and see what you realistically have left for tongue weight.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Explorer
Explorer
I thought I would like the R-Pob, but I didn't realize just how dark they are inside. R-Pods have very few windows, making it feel very boxed in and dark inside.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even if R-Pods don't increase mpg, I wonder if the aerodynamic shape makes for more stable towing?? It's not an Airstream, but I bet it tows better than a sharp-edged cube (which is what I've got).

Not that I'm complaining, of course. 😉
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Larry-D wrote:
In addition to our larger TT we have an R-pod 172.

Other than a pretty good hit on mileage no problems.

I remember a discussion here on the forums from a couple of years ago in which someone had purchased an R-Pod expecting that because of the R-Pod's fairly light weight and noticeably curved profile his gas mileage would be significantly better than the 10 to 12 mpg most of us seem to get towing any full height trailer. He was disappointed because he wasn't getting anywhere near the 15 - 17 mpg return he thought he would but I remember thinking if that was possible a lot more of us would be buying R-Pods. Popular with some but as your post suggests certainly not because towing one will result in dramatically better fuel mileage.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to our larger TT we have an R-pod 172. Build quality, the same as any other Forrest River product. They are small, ours doesn't have the slide. The curve of the roof does limit headroom in the front and rear. The wet bath is small but doable. It pulls well. Our first pull was 450 miles with a Jeep Wrangler 4 dr. Other than a pretty good hit on mileage no problems.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two minor problems with R-Pod -- if the kitchen is in front, there can be headroom issues. And they are kind of narrow -- note that the wheels are outside the main body of the trailer.

Check out some of the smaller Fun Finders -- they may fit the bill, and they are nice and boxy.

And a thought about rain -- when it rains, we put on ponchos and go hiking regardless. In some places (like the redwoods), rain can be a good thing -- colors and smells are sharper. We have never spent the day inside, even in snowy weather.

Nights in a trailer in bad weather are just wonderful!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

LONO100
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the additional responses. I don't envision us taking any trips that would last more than 4 days/3 nights with whatever TT we end up with. I don't think the tight quarters will be too big of an issue nor will the ceiling height either being that we are relatively short people. I'm the tallest person in my family and I'm 5'7'' on my best day.

Are there any telltale signs of bad or poor craftsmanship or quality of parts when looking at travel trailers? Or maybe bad design flaws or poorly thought out ergonomics that won't be blatantly visible to a complete novice?

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
R-pods are very popular here in Oregon. They seem to have good reasale value and I see them being towed by all sorts of midsize trucks and SUV's. My main objection to the ones I've looked at is that I'm too tall to stand up inside.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Ken, I have no first hand experience with either of those trailers unfortunately. I’ve at least seen the R-Pods, and I do like them. If I were looking for a small trailer, they would be on my list.

What I can tell you is regarding living for extended periods of time in a small RV. The only RV’s I’ve owned have been truck campers (three of them), and I think even my current one, which is the largest I’ve had, would seem smaller than the R-Pod.

We’ve been truck camping for over 30 years, and we have no desire to drag around more floor space. Living small isn’t for everyone, and if it’s going to work everyone is going to have to be on board with it. One member who can’t adapt to it will probably make it a bad time for everyone, or just refuse to participate.

So, I hope you have some frank, honest discussions with your potential traveling partners about what close quarters, day-to-day living is going to be like. Eating, sleeping, bathing, taking care of bathroom business and the toddler. It could be challenging and fun.

Fortunately, the four girls I travel with are all OK with the truck camper.

:E

OK, I just wanted to let that sink in a minute. The “four girls” are my wife (The Boss, also for over 30 years) and her three cats (all girls). We make it work. Like I said, “challenging and fun”.

Good luck.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

LONO100
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. While I have camped it out in bad weather, I plan on taking it a little easier these days, hence the trailer. I live in California, and the weather is very predictable as compared to the rest of the country.

Also, I have looked over the forest river website and I tend to not trust manufacturer websites as much since you can usually find many complete fanboys of the product, or people there just to hate and complain. That's why I joined up with this forum, it's bit more arbitrary since there are so many members with different types of rigs.

Anyone have any personal experiences or even second hand opinions with the R-Pod or NoBo line of TT's? Thanks again everyone.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Picture a rainy day camping. Will the trailer have enough interior room for everyone to be comfortable?

I don't think there's a trailer made that would fit that bill.