cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Paella

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
I got my tripod grill going and I picked up a used 15" paella pan, so maybe it's time for some paella when camping next trip. Note: Not my linked images.

Anyone else do paella? I have made it once and it turned out pretty good.

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie
9 REPLIES 9

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
A few images from the paella. I started the paella sofrito on the fire but the wood was to wet from storms, so finished cooking on the grill.

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
2016 Silverado

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pangaea Ron wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
Have never heard the word, but that sure looks awesome, looks like an Italian dish that uses linguine rather than rice.

Paella from Catalan uses pasta instead of rice, it is also magnificent.
It is good either way but I prefer it with linguine also. It is like a Supa De Pesce I make every year when I camp along the beach in RI. We get clams and mussels in the bay and usually catch a sea bass or fluke, steam the clams and mussels first cut the fish (pesce) into cubes and cook in sauce but not too long, I like the fish al dente like the pasta. After the clams and mussels open add to the top of the linguine along with some broth from the pot use a ladle so you don't get sand from the bottom of the pot in the sauce.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Have never heard the word, but that sure looks awesome, looks like an Italian dish that uses linguine rather than rice.

Paella from Catalan uses pasta instead of rice, it is also magnificent.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spainish dish made with rice and whatever people have on hand. Rabbit and squirrel are traditional along with shellfish, ham, chicken, sausage and whatever people can find. Saffron is traditional but now very expensive. Vegetables that typically are used include green beans, tomatoes, peas and onions. Paella making is a great show and perfect outdoors on a fire. One of the fun things about it is that no two batches are the same.

Dean sounds like he has been around it a lot. Nice list of ingredients.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
I most likely will be making a Paella next week while camping with the following:

• Sofrito
  • Andouille Sausage
  • Jumbo Shrimp
  • Squid
  • Chicken thighs
  • Calasparra Rice
  • Saffron
  • Chicken Stock
  • Peas
  • Green Beans
  • Red Pepper

I might try preparing the sofrito ahead of time, prep cutting up the squid,chicken & andouille, and use frozen vegetables to save time. This is the first time trying squid, thus I might include it right after adding rice to tenderize by cooking/steaming longer.

I will try to take some photos for future reference.

Dean
2016 Silverado

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of fun on a fire. That is how the dish evolved in Spain and other countries. Use what you have. People enjoy the show. Prepare all ingredients ahead of time. Cook the best rice you can find. I like chorizo, chicken and bivalves best.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I love paella. I had 2 Spanish architects that worked for me and they would fight about what should be included. One was from Sevilla and he insisted that only rabbit be used. The other was from Valencia and she insisted only on seafood and perhaps chicken. To keep peace, I would do paella with seafood AND chicken, and perhaps rabbit if available.

I grow clams (12,000), mussels (15,000) and oysters (6,500) on my beach and use them in my paella.

I do a cheater version when camping:

Sautรฉ sweet onions and mixed sweet peppers in olive oil with fresh oregano in a large frying pan with lid. Sautรฉ prepared saffron rice mixes in olive oil with onions and peppers, and then boil in chicken broth and white wine (or water) per package instructions.

BBQ Italian (or Chorizo) sausage, with chicken thighs that have been marinated with olive oil, fresh oregano, grated garlic, and ground cumin.

Steam mussels, clams, and shrimp, until prepared. Add to rice mixture.

Add Italian cut green beans (or green peas), butter beans, diced tomatoes, diced pimentos and season with ground black pepper and sea salt.

Serve with lemon wedges and dry Spanish white wine or Sangria.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Made it once, long, long time ago...

Your's looks great... and over a fire pit.. really kewl...
looking good there... fun eh?
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website