cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you lock your turnbuckles?

Haggis_6_2
Explorer
Explorer
So after much hemming and hawing we are now the proud owners of an AF990 preparing for our first adventure. We are equipped with the torklift tiedowns and fastgun turnbuckles - both easily removed. Seems prudent to secure these in place to avoid a PITA situation should someone remove one or all. I was thinking of bolting the ties downs and padlocking the fastguns in-place of the clinch pins (or torklift locks).

What do you do?
40 REPLIES 40

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Buzzcut1 wrote:
in reality the only folks that are going to steal your fast guns are going to be scrappers. Any kind of metal they can get their hands on they will sell for scrap and get the cash. Its a crime of opportunity, locks will make most of them look for easier pickings.

http://www.877ironmike.com/metal-prices

At pennies per pound, there has to be an easier way make a buck.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
in reality the only folks that are going to steal your fast guns are going to be scrappers. Any kind of metal they can get their hands on they will sell for scrap and get the cash. Its a crime of opportunity, locks will make most of them look for easier pickings.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Coblue
Explorer
Explorer
Clarryhill wrote:
K Mac wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
I bought a set of 4 Masters keyed alike, easy and cheap.

x3

x5. the cheap ones and spray WD40 in them in the winter.
2011 Northstar Laredo, 300w solar, CR110 Built to Boondock
2006 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab Short Box, Bilsteins, Firestone Ride-Rites, 285/70-17s, AFE 4" cat-back, bixenon HIDs

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I always lock my Fastguns.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I bought a set of 4 Masters keyed alike, easy and cheap.

Same for me, plus bought long shank Master locks, keyed alike, for the TL Tiedowns.

Lakeside

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:
Is this really a good idea folks? Stating we have the most expensive version of an item only TCers use, unlocked, in the forum frequented by the very people who use that item. Throw in a signature with photo, so all know who to look for.

If you're looking to steal fastguns, wouldn't it be easier to just look for unlocked fastguns than to scout for specific truck campers?

Criminals aren't the brightest people in the world. They aren't going to be looking through this thread trying to identify people with unsecured fastguns. That kind of premeditation is indicative of a mind that is too smart to waste time on such foolishness.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Is this really a good idea folks? Stating we have the most expensive version of an item only TCers use, unlocked, in the forum frequented by the very people who use that item. Throw in a signature with photo, so all know who to look for.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
fpoole wrote:
Why would you NOT lock up.. .Geesh...

1. Never bothered to purchase locks.
2. Have to carry another key.
3. Need to remove one to fuel up (not so "fast" with a lock involved).
4. If you don't get the locks completely closed they could fall off, leaving no "pin". Shaft locking pins are can be seen if they're not closed.
5. Didn't realize how stupid expensive Fastguns are. My stainless set plus the tie downs installed was well under $1k in 2006.

No problem with those who do but it's not like it's a requirement.

I agree, there is a point when securing stuff becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Haggis_6_2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks - we are very please so far.
We kept on cycling back to the AF990 because of the large dinette, high ceiling and overall "homey" feel. We also like the folks at TC Warehouse and feel good about having a solid dealership relatively close.

Found some SS 5/16 shackle padlocks for the fastguns and I'll swop the tiedown clips for some higher strength bolts to keep folks honest and avoid the bend problem that was mentioned.

I don't expect any problems but it's easy peace of mind.

Got some light weight locks for the gas bottles too.

cheftim
Explorer
Explorer
I have only been out once so far with our new AF990 but we're heading out for the week next week so I imagine I'll just put the TL locks on for good measure.

Congrats on the AF Haggis. What made you decide on that over the EC?
2017 F-350 LWB
2018 Arctic Fox 990
2017 Sailfish 290 w/Twin 300 Verados

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Torklift locks for my Fastguns and I always use them. Just have to make sure to squeeze them enough to lock.

DWeikert
Explorer
Explorer
If I only boondocked and didn't have to overnight in the occasional Walmart parking lot while driving across the country I wouldn't. But I do so I do.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
fpoole wrote:
Why would you NOT lock up.. .Geesh...

1. Never bothered to purchase locks.
2. Have to carry another key.
3. Need to remove one to fuel up (not so "fast" with a lock involved).
4. If you don't get the locks completely closed they could fall off, leaving no "pin". Shaft locking pins are can be seen if they're not closed.
5. Didn't realize how stupid expensive Fastguns are. My stainless set plus the tie downs installed was well under $1k in 2006.

No problem with those who do but it's not like it's a requirement.

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
x4