cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trans Superior Hwy

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip that will take us up over Lake Superior from Thunder Bay to Toronto. When is the best time and any concerns for hauling a 40' 5ver, recommendations appreciated.
The older we get, the faster we go
9 REPLIES 9

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
Got it. We have a genset to provide power and dry camping is not an issue up to five days a week.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to make sure that the op understands that our provincial parks are different than the state parks down there where roughing it means only 30 amp, sewer and water! Our parks generally have only 30 amps at a pedestal 30 to 50 feet away, no sewer or water

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. We are leaving the west coast the beginning of January to circle the US via the south route with no real plans once we get to the east side of the country other than a few weeks in northern New York to see family and then back west via the north route.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
brulaz wrote:
Best time is September after Labour day. Fewer crowds.

There are very few Northern Provincial and Federal Parks that can handle anything that long. None that I can find along Lake Superior. There should be some private places though.

Most provincial parks have sites big enough for that size but you will likely need to reserve in advance as spots are limited. If I can get into them with a 35'tt it should be doable with a 40' fiver. We stayed at Sleeping Giant, White Lake and Lake Superior Agawa Bay provincial parks on our trip without any problems. Agawa Bay did have some narrow tree lined roads though. See here to select sites. Select site and equipment size options to narrow down the search. Another of our favorites on the way to Toronto is Grundy Lake but it books up fast.

You're right. I was mis-interpreting the Ontario Parks reservation site. Guess they don't allow reservations after Labour Day or so. But > 32 ft sites definitely exist. They don't list the max length though.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
We have taken that route many times. We have stayed at Mineworkers RV Park in Sudbury, Sault Ste. Marie KOA, Wawa RV Park (nice little park), and Thunder Bay KOA.

Don't know where you are staying in Toronto but take a look at Milton Heights Campground. Very well managed, and well kept RV Park with new owners. Good access to Niagara Falls (1hour) and good public transportation into Toronto using GO train.

The trip you are going to take is a nice drive, good highways and some nice scenery. No problem with getting gas/diesel with lots of easy access pumps all along the route.

We were travelling in 40 ft 5th wheel.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:

There are very few Northern Provincial and Federal Parks that can handle anything that long. None that I can find along Lake Superior. There should be some private places though.

I agree!

If you go before July and after August you will avoid most of the tourist and "construction" season. In terms of provincial parks we have avoided them in that area after we graduated to a 39 ft. fifth wheel (with the exception of Neys) due to small sites and getting the RV scratched up due to tight turns and no tree trimming.

On that stretch we stop at the Sault St Marie KOA, the Penn lake park in Marathon, Neys (if we can get in) and the Thunder Bay KOA. Great scenery along the Superior shore line!

We head up there next week.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:

Most provincial parks have sites big enough for that size but you will likely need to reserve in advance as spots are limited. If I can get into them with a 35'tt it should be doable with a 40' fiver. We stayed at Sleeping Giant, White Lake and Lake Superior Agawa Bay provincial parks on our trip without any problems. Agawa Bay did have some narrow tree lined roads though. See here to select sites. Select site and equipment size options to narrow down the search. Another of our favorites on the way to Toronto is Grundy Lake but it books up fast.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer

2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Those are good roads and major transportation corridors through Canada. You should have no problems with your rig. Ontario does seem to go on forever when you're driving across it. The scenery is pretty along the way; not generally spectacular vistas, but varied and pleasant.

I don't know that there is a "best time" per se, though I'd probably avoid the winter months. Parts would be very pretty when the leaves are changing, sometime around late September or the first half of October.