cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight distribution

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
Should the chain link on the weight distribution hitch be ty he same one each time you hook up?
6 REPLIES 6

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My current TT porpoised badly on link three after leaving the dealerโ€™s lot. Link two works great for me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
My understanding of the way it works is the less links you have between the bar and the link you are hooking, the more weight you are moving toward the front wheels from the rear wheels. And yes, I was instructed to do the same number of links on both sides. Initially, I used the 4th link from the end of the chain and when loaded I still felt a little light in the front end steering. I measured the fenders and decided to use the 5th link to increase the weight shift towards the front of the tow vehicle and it resulted in a better driving experience.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes. Not using the same link will change the amount of weight being moved. And if you got it right, it would be off. One link makes a big difference in the way a trailer tows
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, although it may feel different if the tow vehicle is not in-line with the trailer when pulling the chain up or if there is a difference in slope on the vehicles.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Yes.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Never thought of doing it any other way....I sure make sure mine (on 4 different hitches) are set to the same link on both sides..

Not sure why you wouldn't....but I'll follow this thread to read what others have to say.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro