Advantages:
Price
weight
length and ability to expand areas of camping

Disadvantages
Size/space
lack of redundancy in case of a flat
Carrying capacity (in some cases)

I just bought an Aspen Trail 1700BH. It's 21.5 feet in length and has all the basic amenities. The first thing I did was have the dealer flip the axle gaining about 6 inches in height. This is important in this unit as the black/gray tank drains are only about six inches off the ground in the factory configuration. The layout in this unit is a rear set of bunks with a queen bed across the front sideways.

This appears to be a somewhat common layout with many brands having it. In fact Dutchmen has three separately branded units with this layout. There is the Aspen Trail and the Coleman 17FQ/17FQWE and there is the Kodiak 175 "cub.'

The primary difference I see between the Dutchmen units in this layout is that the Dutchmen units are eight feet wide vs seven feet wide in other brands like Jayco, Minnie and others. AND Dutchmen dedicates the space to the bunk area vs the restroom area. This allows for a 41 inch wide bottom bunk in the back. Most of the others are under 36 inches and down to 30 inches in some cases limiting your bunk area to kids. so, if you like a sink in your bathroom, go with the small bunk units. The other advantage of the Dutchmen (8 ft wide) units is that you get a full size dinette big enough for four people instead of the tiny dinettes.

Question: What is so important about a sink in the bathroom or just outside separate from the kitchen sink often sometimes only a few feet apart? Not wishing to be sexist, but noting that women seem to have a strong preference for a bathroom sink AND a kitchen sink.

I purchased my unit for under 13K (Aspen Trail). In looking online, I noticed that the Coleman units "tend" to run about a thousand K more than the Aspen Trail units even though they are identical. My thought on that is that Dutchmen has to pay a licensing fee for the Coleman name and so you as a customer pay for it. I would like to note that the range for the two brands does over lap quite a bit. The biggest weakness of these two is probably the carrying capacity of only 650 lbs. Price range on these units is as low as 10,400 up to 21,000. Most in the 14K to 15K range.

Now, the Kodiak (175 cub) version of this layout is quite an upgrade over the Aspen Trail/Coleman versions, however, the price reflects it also with some exceptions at the lower end of the range. (range - just under 15K to up to 26K)wit the average running 19 to 21K.

The Kodiak is a fiberglass shell vs Aluminum, but the most significant difference is likely in the suspension. The Kodiak has a torsion axle and 15 inch wheels vs the Aspen Trail/Coleman spring system. This susspension raises the Kodiak up nicely AND it has a substantially higher carrying capacity (1200 lb range) over the 650 lbs on the less expensive units.

Other amenities in the Kodiak include upgraded interior, upgraded sound system, rooftop air conditioner, bathtub and shower enclosure, black tank flush, camera ready set up on back and small door in the bunk area where you fold the bunks up and put things like bikes back there for travel.

IMHO, the Kodiak if you can get it at the lowest end of the range may be one of the best "new" deals out there on small travel trailers. If you have to pay the higher range of prices, there are lots of other units that compete and beat it. The Aspen Trail/Coleman units at the lowest end of pricing range with an axle flip and two step change out are excellent choices for getting out into the national forests on dirt roads and dry camping for a few days at a time. As many of you know, larger TT's often limit you to parking lots and a distinct lack of trees.

Hard sides are nice in Montana since there are night time visitors here that are quite large, furry with big teeth, claws and occasioinally nasty/hungry dispositions. For example, in the Cooke City area, they have closed all the campgrounds to anything but hard sided units because the Grizzlies decided to eat the tenters.

All in all, for small trailers, this layout is a very efficient use of space and new families with rugrats can camp in relative comfort for not a lot of dollar bills (affordable hardside experience).

I feel the 8 foot wide Dutchmen units are one of the better choices for this type of layout (unless you want a sink in the bathroom) with an under 15K Kodiak being one of the better deals out there.

Thoughts?
28 REPLIES 28

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
Single axle saved me a lot of money in tolls. The whole Northeast is littered with tolls and expensive on two axles. I have had blow outs and never had any issues with the trailer tipping or getting squirrely. The only issue I had was the tire casing did chew up the well a bit but not a big deal to fix at least in my case.Not crazy that they equipped it with a 13 inch tire D range so I want to upgrade to a 14 inch 8 PR tire for extra safety.

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
All I could afford wrote:
For those of us in the Northeast, a side benefit is the savings in Tolls on a single axle trailer. The nearest toll bridge to my house charges $21 PER AXLE INCLUDING THE TOW VEHICLE. $63 for a single axle becomes $84 for a tandem axle.
Heading south to the beach area is also bad. Toll booth every 20 miles or so on the Garden State Parkway $4.50 for single axle versus $6.00 for tandem... about six tollbooths between me and the beach I like.

Cr@p, and I thought California ripped people off with tolls. About $28.00 to cross the Golden Gate with a 2 axle trailer. Other bay area bridges slightly cheaper.

Adam
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer dual axles. Perfect sized trailer is 21ft with dual axles. I boondock with a single axle pup and carry 1,000 pounds of gear in my sub. I'd never own a single axle full height 7 or 8 foot wide travel trailer.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Baraboo Bob, I appreciate that reassurance about the trailer not tipping over -- it has been one of the things I worry about most. But I think you are right -- if the tire deflates or blows out, the trailer only dips as much as the height of the sidewall, which is not much.

Still a scary event, and one that I hope I will never witness first-hand. I frequently check tire tread and inflation.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
The number of axles has nothing to do with how easy it is to back a trailer. The factor that matters is the length of the trailer and the distance between the trailer axle and the hitch. I have a short utility trailer that is very difficult to back because the "turn time" is very short. I also have a trailer built to carry my 18' sea kayak that is extremely easy to back. Both of those trailers are single axle. The longer the trailer, the easier it is to plan your backup.
A single axle trailer will not tip over if you have a flat unless you are on a very sharply crowned road. The tire is only about 4" to 6" tall so the trailer does not tip very much. It is the same as driving up on 4 to 6 leveling blocks on a level road.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Aspen Trail Quality has varied over the years as one of the "bottom end" levels. I've been looking for at least six years and finally jumped when I found a floorplan that was perfect for us at substantially less than I was figuring. But, it was an Aspen Trail.

I remember looking at Aspen Trails like four and five years ago and I would NOT have bought one. The quality was really and easily noticeably bad including windows that hadn't been caulked. So, when we looked this year, I got down to the nitty gritty and was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of things addressed.

The first was the caulking. I commented on how bad quality of these had been in the past and the prep guy said it had gotten so bad at one point on Aspen Trails that dealers were going to quit ordering them including them.

I've seen them in the past where they looked like leaks ready to happen with window seals not caulked. Mine was very well done. In addition, I have an excellent dealership. They have two crews for repairs. One is the prep crew. The guy in charge is very good as are his people. When we went through after purchase I noticed the wall seams had all been redone. The crew guy said they just do that to all of them as a general rule because they are always bad. On the counter top, there was a little magic marker X from the factory in one place that he had missed and the factory had missed fixing before shipping.

First, we had to look closely to even see what the X was there for. So, we held a flashlight just right and could see a slight imperfection. I would have never noticed if I hadn't seen the X. So, they forgot to fix it or replace the counter top from the factory, but they did see it in the first place.

He apologized and indicated they would replace the counter top. To be honest, I could have lived with it, would have never noticed it without the X and even my significant other (eyes like a hawk) said she would have never noticed. So, I am lucky to have my dealer about six miles from home and to be known as a quality dealer. They even called here about a week ago, a couple of months after buying and asked how things were...

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
It is the old story, redundancy adds a level of security, it also increases the cost and the number of things that can go wrong.

Personally I prefer dual axels because of the extra set of tires, and brakes. However, I am also willing to accept the increased cost and maintenance.

Obviously, some models do not offer a choice. so, to get the floor plan I wanted meant a dual axel TT.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
You just ended any thoughts I had of an RV trip to the Northeast! I couldn't enjoy myself with those tolls.

I owned an Aspen Trail 15BH (single axle) for about 2-3 years. We used it heavily. I would not buy a budget level or single axle trailer again. I understand that for many, budget level is where we start (I did), but I felt the corners that were cut were DANGEROUS. We had several issues that a few dollars spent at the factory would have saved me thousands. For instance, I assumed the factory put grease in the bearings. They put the bare minimum and I had a failure with my family in the middle of the summer desert. Cost us $400 in repair and 3 days of our vacation...all for 10 cents of grease. I know, as the operator I should have checked myself. Now I know.

I now own a mid-tier product and recommend all that ask that they just start there.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
All I could afford wrote:
For those of us in the Northeast, a side benefit is the savings in Tolls on a single axle trailer. The nearest toll bridge to my house charges $21 PER AXLE INCLUDING THE TOW VEHICLE. $63 for a single axle becomes $84 for a tandem axle.
Heading south to the beach area is also bad. Toll booth every 20 miles or so on the Garden State Parkway $4.50 for single axle versus $6.00 for tandem... about six tollbooths between me and the beach I like.

Hadn't thought of tolls. None in MT and we get to go 80 on the highways and 70 on the backroads...when we don't have trailers hooked up.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom wrote:
Advantages:
Price
weight
length and ability to expand areas of camping

Disadvantages
Size/space
lack of redundancy in case of a flat
Carrying capacity (in some cases)....

One other advantage to double axles is that the trailer handles dips and bumps more smoothly than with a single axle. They are not eliminated, of course, just reduced.

A disadvantage is increased cost/time maintaining brakes and buying tires.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Kavoom wrote:
"I swapped in a 5200 lb axle and tires rated for even more, and now don't worry about blowouts. 10K miles so far without any issues."

How much to swap out the axle? That has occurred to me...
~1K, with wheels and tires. I replace a torsion axle, a spring axle should be cheaper.
Just curious how do you like the torsion axle? I had a pair of torsion axles under a Streamlite and they seemed to have more bounce. I added a shock kit but traded the trailer before trying it out.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info on the axle switchout. I am NOT that handy however and would have the dealer do it.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My TT had a gross weight limit of 7500 lbs. The axle pair are rated to 7000 lb. The tongue carries about 12 or 13 percent about 900 lbs.

I have never had an issue.

My heaviest scale weight was 6400 lbs. 800 lbs of that on the tongue.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.