cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hensley Arrow Owners: FYI, Check your Wear Items

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Catching up on some much needed maintenance on the Arrow. It's been 9 years or so since I painted it black, and now it's starting to show some rust again. This time I opted for a complete disassembly so that I could sand and paint the cam surfaces.

The bearings in the hitch are assembled just like wheel bearings on the trailer, with a bearing, grease seal, castle/cotter, and dust cap. The grease still looked good, but you can't really take this apart and not clean/repack the bearings.

As a reminder to all HA owners, there are parts of the hitch that Hensley considers to be "wear items". The parts I replace every 3-4 years are the bronze wear bushing that the spring bars insert into and the downtube and clip that attach to the trailing end of the spring bars. I didn't take a pic of the downtube, but it suffers from the same elongated hole where you attach the spring bars. Good news is that you can take those out and flip them over and get some additional use from them.

I have found that these holes will elongate from wear:

In addition, I spotted a new issue this year. Look at the frame bracket where the right jack tube attaches, it's bent down somewhat:

Taking a closer look reveals that the weld has cracked:

I thought at first of having this re-welded, but decided to replace both brackets. If this were to let go under the full tension of the spring bar no telling what other damage it would cause.

The hitch is 16 years old, so I wouldn't call this a manufacturing defect, but rather the product of our ever-deteriorating road system. Every trip the rig gets beat to death a little worse on our interstates, especially in/around NYC. The HA carries 1200 lbs of tongue weight and so it really takes a beating on these rough roads.

Next time you drop the hitch to grease the ball, take the spring bars and jack tubes off and give everything a good going over. Hensley has been great in terms of always having somebody to answer the phone and take questions, and if you order parts they ship same day.
4 REPLIES 4

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice truck Barney! I absolutely love the look of the new Ram trucks!

I'm sure there are a lot of new TT owners that would love to get their hands on a used HA in good shape like that!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thank you Slowmover!
The change allowed me to purchase another new truck! I sold my 2016 2500 CTD and now drive a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with the 5.7 hemi. It has all the bells and whistles including air suspension and rides like a car. I love it!
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Burbman,
I just removed my Hensley from our trailer a couple of weeks ago as the trailer is now permanently parked at our sons' family campground up in northern Michigan. I looked it over quite carefully and didn't find any cracked or broken welds.

Actually it looked quite good since I rebuilt it several years ago. I replaced all the seals and used good synthetic "red" grease on all the bearings. Had it sandblasted and then primed it and painted it black just as you did. I didn't want to advertise it with that "steal me" orange paint!

It now resides in our garage after giving us very reliable and safe towing for many years. I am a bit sad to give up traveling by RV however age is really getting to me now as I passed my 81st birthday a few months ago.

Good post and great pictures!
Barney

Old trailer owners never die (they just buy a Moho and push buttons instead).

Best of the new days, Barney!

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Burbman,
I just removed my Hensley from our trailer a couple of weeks ago as the trailer is now permanently parked at our sons' family campground up in northern Michigan. I looked it over quite carefully and didn't find any cracked or broken welds.

Actually it looked quite good since I rebuilt it several years ago. I replaced all the seals and used good synthetic "red" grease on all the bearings. Had it sandblasted and then primed it and painted it black just as you did. I didn't want to advertise it with that "steal me" orange paint!

It now resides in our garage after giving us very reliable and safe towing for many years. I am a bit sad to give up traveling by RV however age is really getting to me now as I passed my 81st birthday a few months ago.

Good post and great pictures!
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine