cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying Cruise America Rental Units

rsmithtesiusa
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone recently purchase one of the Cruise America former Rental Units? I know they are high mileage and, just like former rental cars, you never know how they have been driven. Also am aware they are bare bones - but for the price you can add awnings etc.

But they are Thor's, which is supposedly a great unit.

Has anyone purchased one recently and what has your experience been?

Any help appreciated.
20 REPLIES 20

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
We rented one of the big units last year in Las Vegas and returned it in Phoenix. Overall we were very happy with it. This was a test trip for our 3 generation family of 7 before we bought our Class C.

When we returned it in Phoenix, they had several units being prepped for resale. All marked Majestic as previous poster indicated.

If I were interested in a unit like this and not willing to spend a lot, I would not hesitate to buy one.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
rsmithtesiusa wrote:

Where do they perform the service on the rental units? We are in Houston where they have rental facilities, but the closest sales outlet is out of State. Don't mind buying from out of state but dont want to have to go back to sales outlet for warranty work?

Thanks

I cannot speak for Cruise America but I understand that their Warranty is the same as I was given when I purchased my RV at El Monte RV.

In it sates that authorization is required prior to commencement of all repairs by calling a 800 number.

If you are within 40 miles of the dealer you must deliver it to them.If not they will they will give you instructions to deliver your vehicle to a repairing facility.

If towing is required actual towing costs,not covered by insurance,will be covered up to $500 per occurrence.

I know of only one time this was used by a person that bought from El Monte RV and they covered all costs to get it to their facility and repaired the unit to their satisfaction.

Here is that post
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

rsmithtesiusa
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
(IIRC) - they also have a one year warranty (?).

~

Yes they do You Can Read About It Here

Where do they perform the service on the rental units? We are in Houston where they have rental facilities, but the closest sales outlet is out of State. Don't mind buying from out of state but dont want to have to go back to sales outlet for warranty work?

Thanks

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

~

Yes they do You Can Read About It Here
Buying A Rental Class C

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer

~

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Generally, folks who buy these rigs new seem to have a LOT of complaints and negatives about Thor products.
For their size and equipment they are usually the cheapest units on the market. And that carries with it the inherent problems associated with the cost cutting to build that "cheapest unit this size".

But a rental unit must be on the road to make the rental agency money, and everything I have heard has included comments about all the maintenance records and documentation on each unit. A rental Thor product may be the best way to buy one, the rental agency may have already dealt with the year to two years of pulling your hair out over everything that wasn't done right at the factory, they may have a better product than what it was new.
Good luck, and happy motorin

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Then there's this:

U-haul Truck
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
I looked at CA rental returns when we were in the market. What I found was that the units they had on the lot had a lot of wear on the house part. They also had a lot of miles (generally 130K+) for a couple years old rig. I also found them made more for durability than aesthetics. No awning, lots of linoleum and fixed mattresses in the cabover bunk.
That said, they looked like a good way to get in the RV game for a small budget. The above referenced thread seems to bear this out.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not really,Thor products have had some bad reviews here but the Four Winds division that make the Cruise America models to their specs have a better reputation,after all the do have to stand up to a lot of use.

As DownTheAvenue stated, El Monte RV also sells their units from the rental fleet with much lower mileage, this I found to be true, the ones I looked and finally bought had 30 to 40 thousand less miles.

Welcome to the Forum,It takes a bit to learn how to search things here,but most times the members are very helpful to the newcomers,so ask away.
Buying A Rental Class C

rsmithtesiusa
Explorer
Explorer
I am just getting started looking for Class C's. The impression I got was that they were one of the better lines.

Sounds like that is a bad assumption??

Thanks for link to the other threads. my search skills are weak....

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I should think these units are better maintained than an equivalent unit that's been sitting in someone's back yard for years.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
El Monte RV also sells their units from the rental fleet with much lower mileage.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are many happy owners of Cruise America owners on This Thread. it is a lot to read but very informative.

There are 100 members that are happy with their Former Rental,more than half are Cruise America owners,hopefully some of them will come along and give some first hand information.

They are all Refurbished and Repainted before being sold.
Buying A Rental Class C

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently, they're just graphics that strip off. :B
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8