cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OMG what job....

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Our Newmar has a grasshopper linkage at the top of the door, it was sagging and interfering with the screen door. Should be an easy job to remove and repair.
I remove the bolt that attaches the linkage to the coach, and the whole thing falls off in my hand. So I examine the top of the door and see where the linkage is supposed to be attached, I appears that it once was welded to a post sticking out of a steel plate attached to the door with 6 screws.
So the plan is, I'll remove the 6 screws, and take the plate and the linkage down to the shop and re-weld it.
When I try to remove the plate I see that it is attached by more than the 6 screws, there is a cable and a bunch of linkage on the bottom side of the plate, I'm thinking that I really don't want to screw up the door internal workings, so decide to remove the whole door and take the whole thing to the shop and weld it.
The door is attached to the coach by a bazillion #10 screws and 4 large 1/4 X 2" lag screws, I remove all the number 10 screws and nothing moves, so here we go with the 4 lags screws AS the last one comes out I'm holding the door, and when the last lag is removed all the weight the door comes on me, And holy moley this door is heavy. I'm hollering for the old lady to come help. by this time it is tipping and trying to body slam me
Between the two of us we get it down flat with out getting hurt or hurting the door, But Oh Man that door was about 3 times heavier than I thought it should be.
I get it rewelded, every thing works So with a lot of help we get the door back in place, all the screws in and all is good, Job well done.
The door won't close.
After a few choice words, and a lot of trying things we find the door will close if you relieve the door latch, COOL. it aint supposed to blow close. Neet, we are good with that.
Day over we are down right proud of a good job well do.
Next morning G/Ma forgets the latch, slams the door, and breaks the new weld.
Now its OK to hell with the latch interlock, I remove the 6 screws, pry up the steel plate, cut the cable. and off it comes, removing the mechanism, reeled the linkage, replace the plate and linkage, now the door works as it always has, And YES it will blow closed, but it always did, so what.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
4 REPLIES 4

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should feel how heavy a dishwasher door or oven door is when the spring or hinges break! Would never guess they weight that much either.

dedmiston
Moved from Roads & Routes

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Don't you just love it when a plan comes all together! Well ...

Persistence, that's the key to any DIY job. Glad it finally worked out for you! Well done!

Germania
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't it great to be a DIYer