cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colorado Highways

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to vacation in Colorado next month and need advice on mountain roads. We are planning to go to Gunnison, Ouray, Silverton, and other locations. We will be driving a 30' class C motorhome with a Ford E-450 engine. Would welcome advice on highways to take (or not take). We have vacationed in Colorado before, but in a sedan not a motorhome. Thanks in advance for your help.
11 REPLIES 11

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I’m in SW Colorado. We are parked in Creed. Our biggest problem in the smoke from the fire north of Durango. I have allergies and we’ve had To in for the afternoon. They are predicting heavy rains for that region for the weekend. If it happens they should get control of the fire. There is a lot of Colorado open so come on.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
We will be pulling a CRV as our toad. We have thought of unhitching the CRV and driving them separately on some of the steeper highways.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
When I was there last month, 550 was closed for wildfires as were a few other routes. Unfortunately, it's already been a very bad fire season in Colorado. So do check on the road status often.

I would suggest too, that, if you live in a low elevation area, that you gradually acclimatize on your way to Colorado but that should be easy if you're going via New Mexico.

If you go through Colorado Springs I highly recommend Cheyenne Mountain State Park--beautiful park with great views and excellent facilities.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen semi's and diesel pushers on the 550 with no ill effects. How good a driver are you?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mountain Directory

We find this very helpful.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Anywhere that Class C will go that towed will follow.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
With a 30' Class C, you can drive most, if not all paved highways in Colorado. When you add a toad, then that will make a difference. But still most are doable.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
There are 8 fires currently burning in Colorado and several are in the southwestern part of the state. And the smoke is as big a problem for drivers in that region as the actual fires. So, you may want to pick your route and campgrounds carefully and closely follow the latest fire watches and closures just before, and during, your trip.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Miss parts of beautiful Colorado because you might need to drive slowly and carefully? Not me. Not ever. No way.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2Fliers
Explorer
Explorer
The road from Ouray to Silverton has a high pucker factor, but I've often seen gasoline tankers on that section of the highway.
As noted in another thread, there's a large fire between Silverton and Durango which has restricted travel south of Silverton on US 550. The fire has closed the San Juan National Forest to all activities.

The latest info is here:
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5822/
Mary Gail and Bobby
Sold the Truck - got a Jeep
Sold the Toy Hauler - getting a tent

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
stargirl96 wrote:
We plan to vacation in Colorado next month and need advice on mountain roads. We are planning to go to Gunnison, Ouray, Silverton, and other locations. We will be driving a 30' class C motorhome with a Ford E-450 engine. Would welcome advice on highways to take (or not take). We have vacationed in Colorado before, but in a sedan not a motorhome. Thanks in advance for your help.

Will you have a toad/towed with you? Could make a difference in responses, particularly in travelling from Ouray to Silverton on US 550. Also if you can indicate what other locations.

ETA: I'm not suggesting that a towed vehicle will cause any problems. I'm suggesting that, if they have a towed vehicle, they could use THAT VEHICLE to explore the area.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.