cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

California's mini Alps

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Rediscovered California's mini Alps, before the full snow melt up at Sierra Nevada camping along Highway 395 at the state's back roads -- which with California's budget surplus are now improved and well-maintained.

The highway are with high density of public uncongested campgrounds with side by side national parks, national forests, county parks and recreation areas and even city parks between Bishop through CA-NV border.

Cheap gas, however, stops at Bishop and beyond that going up north, you'll get hit with $4.00/gal gas.
19 REPLIES 19

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Kind of tricky to drag a trailer into a Costco gas line -- it can be done, but it is not fun.

Specially in California where lines are a mile long.

You just got to endure the dagger looks of the ones behind you, lol.

It's not as tight to maneuver though as some other gas stations -- even the so-called trucks-RV friendly Pilots.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kind of tricky to drag a trailer into a Costco gas line -- it can be done, but it is not fun.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Billinwoodland wrote:
Not to beat any business away from the Topaz Lodge, but about 20 miles north in Gardnerville there is a 7-11 that has the best gas prices in the area.

And Costco, lol.

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Not to beat any business away from the Topaz Lodge, but about 20 miles north in Gardnerville there is a 7-11 that has the best gas prices in the area.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Ralph, be advised that the gas station in Bridgeport tacks on an extra dollar a gallon for the enjoyment of the view while you are fueling up -- this was taken on the Buckeye trail (legal for mountain bikes!), and the Sawtooth Ridge (behind me) is visible right from the gas pumps:

Click For Full-Size Image.

A few minutes after that shot was taken, we had to wade across a creek full of snowmelt, carrying our bikes. I went first --the water was almost waist-deep but not too fast. DW, who is only about 5 feet tall, stepped into the freezing water well above her waist and let out quite a loud and piercing yell: "Woo-hoo!!"

An instant later, a group of coyotes across the creek started howling in response to her!

That's funny.

Cheapest gas is in Bishop. One offers free dump too -- or with optional donation to some youth project. Further north and it starts to hit near $5 until you cross into Nevada state line.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Ramblin' Ralph wrote:
Great photo of the mountains!! Gotta pay what they want as far as gas. I seem to remember the resort at the Upper Twin is actually cheaper than town!

Lots of campground in the area. Cheap too (well, compared to Cali beach campgrounds).

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Great photo of the mountains!! Gotta pay what they want as far as gas. I seem to remember the resort at the Upper Twin is actually cheaper than town!
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph, be advised that the gas station in Bridgeport tacks on an extra dollar a gallon for the enjoyment of the view while you are fueling up -- this was taken on the Buckeye trail (legal for mountain bikes!), and the Sawtooth Ridge (behind me) is visible right from the gas pumps:

Click For Full-Size Image.

A few minutes after that shot was taken, we had to wade across a creek full of snowmelt, carrying our bikes. I went first --the water was almost waist-deep but not too fast. DW, who is only about 5 feet tall, stepped into the freezing water well above her waist and let out quite a loud and piercing yell: "Woo-hoo!!"

An instant later, a group of coyotes across the creek started howling in response to her!
About our trailer

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Camped near Bridgeport last week and regular gas was about $4.95.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Mini? Do you mean the Sierras? I've never been to the Alps, but lots of folks from Europe (who I run into in the Sierras!) have told me that the Sierras are pretty much as world-class as the Alps.

They are different -- the Alps and the Rockies are made of sedimentary and metamorphic rock, which is softer (and hence easier to carve into sharp shapes). The Sierras are a little rounder, because they are made of granite (which is harder for the glaciers to carve).

Admittedly, Mont Blanc is higher than Mt. Whitney, but the Sierras are pretty major hills.

When I hear Alps of the US I always think Ouray or Maroon Bells, used to spend a lot of time in the California Granite rocks till it just got to be unpleasant to drive in the State..

Needless to say all the Images you are so Kind to Share, of all those different rocks, are just Beautiful.

Thanks Again,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Cali-MinnieWinn
Explorer
Explorer
Can you share what campgrounds you stayed at?

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
RTCastillo wrote:
Rediscovered California's mini Alps, before the full snow melt up at Sierra Nevada camping along Highway 395 at the state's back roads -- which with California's budget surplus are now improved and well-maintained.

The highway are with high density of public uncongested campgrounds with side by side national parks, national forests, county parks and recreation areas and even city parks between Bishop through CA-NV border.

Cheap gas, however, stops at Bishop and beyond that going up north, you'll get hit with $4.00/gal gas.

What "Budget surplus" are you talking about? BTW, It was $4.00 a gallon last year when I was there, I'd have to think it's pushing $4.50 - $5.00 a gallon with the new gas tax ....
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW and off-topic, but (maybe) interesting: We have right here just ~50 miles East of Silicon Valley's hustle and bustle - a hiking/backpacking area that folks who do the High Sierras say is way more difficult than the High Sierras. I have hiked and backpacked in both places and tend to agree.

Henry Coe State Park is a vast back country area that is low altitude, so it can be way hotter than when High Sierra hiking/backpacking. Hiking there requires continuous elevation gains/losses in steep valleys which - when combined with the heat - is a killer situation. It's beautiful, serene, has bodies of water full of fish ... but boy is it tough to get in there. I wish I could have my RV air-dropped way back in there beside it's most remote lake!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure about how flavor profiles apply to the mountains, except maybe that the Sierras are an acquired taste?

But you are right that it takes a lot of work to get deep into the Sierras -- there are few roads that cross the range, and the hikes up from the valleys are long and tough, especially on the east side.
About our trailer