cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Class C Majestic is loud and all over the road!

Claybe
Explorer
Explorer
We haven’t been on a long road trip in a while. I have done about 500 miles now on this trip and my daughters are complaining about how loud it is so I downloaded a decimal meter app and it measured 93 dB at one point! Anything I could do to quiet things down? Also, it is swaying all over the place. Should I install new sway bars? I have heard good things about the hellwigs. Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is kind of a dumb and simple thing that can make for overly loud engine noise and road noise: Is your doghouse cover properly seated down snug into it's rubber sealing rim ring ... and are the locking clamps that hold the doghouse tight down onto the sealing ring still in good condition, adjusted for maximum tightness, and fully engaged?

We have not yet had this issue with our Ford chassis based Class C, but we had a Dodge van based camper once where this definitely caused a noise problem ... and boy was it loud when even one of it's doghouse motor cover clamps was not properly locked down.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Claybe
Explorer
Explorer
Great info, thanks Ron!

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Claybe,

I can't comment on the noise, but I can share our experience with our 2007 Ford E350 chassis motor home.

Brand new, the rig handled like a drunken sailor. Later that same year in 2007, I took the rig to our local truck/RV suspension shop. $3900 later and the rig handles like an SUV. What a huge difference, well worth the cost for handling & safety, comfort for all, and greatly reduces driver fatigue. Champion Frame Align in Elgin IL did the following.

- Added a rear Roadmaster heavy duty stabilizer bar (the E350 lacks one through year 2007)
- Replaced the wimpy stock front stabilizer bar with a Roadmaster heavy duty version.
- added a rear trac bar (was recommended because we tow another vehicle)
- replaced the stock shock absorbers with heavy duty versions
- replaced the wimpy stock steering stabilizer with a heavy duty Safe-T-Plus version
- did a front wheel alignment (was off so bad they installed offset bushings to get it right)
- determined the proper tire pressure. (make sure your tire gauge reads accurately)

That was 11 years ago. We have enjoyed driving our rig ever since. Our replacement shocks were the red adjustable Koni-RV (set to heavy-duty) but they went bad recently. I am replacing them this month with Bilstein heavy duty RV shocks.

Each motor home has it's own characteristics due to the differences in size, shape/aerodynamics, adjusted wheel base, load, and the distribution of the load. So what works well for one motor home might not be necessary for another. I advise to weigh your rig to determine the right tire pressure, and also a good wheel alignment (done so as it will be loaded for a trip) and the heavy duty front and rear Helwig stabilizer bars. That would a great start. I do think you will also end up investing in a heavy duty steering stabilizer. If you want to cover all your basis up front with best results, then do as we had done. You can't go wrong that way.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
Claybe, I used to have a Born Free C on a Ford 450 chassis and it liked to wander, too. My mechanic said the alignment was fine and that it was 'a Ford thing'. I got used to it after a while and so will you. But my Chevy is a dream to drive by comparison.

Not sure about the noise as I don't know the nature of the noise you're describing.

I have read of many people (three different discussion boards) saying their alignment guy said it was "fine" only to find out that his idea of "fine" was about 3 degrees of caster. When those same people heeded the advise of others in the thread and found a cooperative alignment guy, they reported that +5 degrees or so of caster (and proper tire inflation for weight) cured the wander. Many alignment people will swear that they know what they are doing, but don't have a clue when it comes to RV's.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doghouse not sealed? Catches loose?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Claybe, I used to have a Born Free C on a Ford 450 chassis and it liked to wander, too. My mechanic said the alignment was fine and that it was 'a Ford thing'. I got used to it after a while and so will you. But my Chevy is a dream to drive by comparison.

Not sure about the noise as I don't know the nature of the noise you're describing.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Claybe
Explorer
Explorer
Tires are fine. Road is bad. RV is cheap. Not exhaust noise. Just wondering if others have experienced this or not and if anything can be done or not. Also wondering about the swaying. Hope all are well!

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Is it exhaust noise? If your on the road on vacation it's not really the time and place to be taking care of things. Planning ahead is a good idea.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
We REALLY need a "what is the source of the noise/sound".

Without that there is no way we can assist. If cabinets squeaking, discussion of engine fan are useless. And, visa versa.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
93 db is going to damage your hearing.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Like Bryan said, weigh it. Corner weights (RF, LF, RR, LR) are best. If you can get those, set tire pressure on both sides according to the higher corner weight. Most of us can only get to a CAT Scale at a Truck Stop, and those give only Axle weight. If you go to one and have a toad, tow it onto the scales and you'll get its weight also.

And, again, if you need it aligned, go for 5.0L and 5.5R Caster. Make sure the front end isn't worn out. Both Bryan and I have renewed our Ford E-series front ends with takeoff parts from 4x4 conversion shops. Cheaper to replace with takeoff than to repair.

I wonder if your exhaust system is damaged. Leaking and/or jammed against the chassis. If pipe is against chassis or hangers are shot, you'll get noise inside. You'll also get noise if a "motor mount" is bad.

It'd help if you'd post Make/Year/Model of this coach. Also Miles on it and Wheelbase, plus Front/Rear Weights if you've been to a scale.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
My son and I took a RV for a test drive and it was so loud we could not hear each other. When we got back to the dealer we found out that the door was warped and the windows were not closing properly. A year later took my Majestic 19G for its test drive and I was shocked by how quiet it was. bought it and when I left the lot after buying it I was 10 minutes away from the dealer and the noise got really bad. Took me half an hour to find a safe place to pull over and I was almost in tears it was so loud. Checked the windows, vents, door and everything seemed good. Then I decided to open and close EVERYTHING. Vents were good, door was fine but the window behind the drivers seat was open the slightest. Cleaned the track as best I could and slide it closed and the noise was gone. It still comes open occasionally and I laugh about it now.

I also added carpet and underlay for warmth but it sure cuts down on road noise as well!
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
That't definitely not a normal sound level. That's about the same as a gas lawnmower, and actually would require hearing protection if you were exposed to that level for 8 hours at work.

Is the engine cover/doghouse fully seated? The side latches need to be secured before the bottom latches.

Is the exhaust system intact?

And yes, for the handling issue, check tire pressure first, and adjust according to load. Front tires should not be fully inflated. Door tag is a good start but tire pressure vs load charts are even better. Besides that, have the front end inspected for wear, and make sure it's set to max caster (5-5.5 degrees). Also, make sure it isn't loaded to take too much weight off the front axle.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how accurate a Decibel App is compared to a Decibel Meter.
Either way, the noise is too high in your rig. Can you determine where or what the sound is coming from while traveling?
Is it the things bouncing inside the house, exhaust, wind noise, etc.?
If you can pinpoint the source, maybe you can make some improvements or adjustments.
But, as donn0128 indicated, it may just be the nature of the beast.