cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highway 287 or Highway 64 leaving Amarillo to Denver

HHg_in_Austin
Explorer
Explorer
About to head from Austin to Yellowstone. 8 years ago we took the same trip.....and I can’t remember for sure but either Hwy 287 or Hwy 64 going north from Amarillo to Denver was absolutely the worst highway I have ever driven and almost jarred my teeth loose. Anyone recently taken a trip on either of these highways ? Your input would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks !
HHg in Austin
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40-QBH
2018 Chevrolet Tahoe Toad
6 REPLIES 6

mikefos
Explorer
Explorer
We driven 87 from Fredericksburg, TX to Raton, NM every year for the past 5 years. Going again in early Aug. Raton Pass is just a rest stop, after the long slog to get out of TX. Then we are off to Red River, NM for a couple of weeks.
Mike and Kim
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch

HHg_in_Austin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all.....it’s appreciated. You’ve helped with my decision.
HHg in Austin
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40-QBH
2018 Chevrolet Tahoe Toad

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
IDman wrote:
I just drove from Amarillo to Colorado Springs area 3 weeks ago on Hiway 87 and it was a fine highway. It is divided nearly all of the way.
Agree, as I was just on it in January. It was widened and improved as part of the NAFTA truck route from El Paso to the Great Plains.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

4huskers
Explorer
Explorer
I’d advise not driving through Denver. We went from Amarillo to Limon, to Greeley. Then north on I25 to Casper and then through the Wind River Canyon on Cody. The only rough stretch I remember is around Boise City, OK and it’s pretty short.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Went from Amarillo to Clayton, to Raton, to Colorado Springs. Not sure of the numbers but think 87 then 64/87 then I-25.

Not bad as we were moving the kids.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I just drove from Amarillo to Colorado Springs area 3 weeks ago on Hiway 87 and it was a fine highway. It is divided nearly all of the way.