Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12v/USB charging station reccomendation

kirkl
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Our new trailer came with no 12V plugins, all it has is two USB chargers, one in bedroom and one in living room area. We have a 12V TV we use when off grid so i would like to replace the one in the bedroom with a 12V/usb combo like in the link below, has anyone did this them selves and what brand did you go with?

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-15095-Charging-Center/dp/B00C88AP7A
2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
2014 Adventurer 80RB
9 REPLIES 9

kirkl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, and yes I need to look at the guage of the wire, it looked smaller than normal I think and the ones with lights or a glow to them are out, read alot of reviews about how brite they are and this one would be right behind our heads in bed and I dont need another light that stays on contantly drawing juice.
2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
2014 Adventurer 80RB

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
we have installed a couple of these as well in our Motorhome

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
in installed this one last year, was pretty straightforward. The separate pieces can be arranged anyway you want, and it's pretty simple to change them out if needed (replacing the 12v with a USB for example, or adding another outlet instead of a switch or voltage readout).

i installed mine near the radio so I used the same power source. I also wired the radio into the new toggle switch, so i can switch the radio off (similar to when you turn off your car, radio goes dark but maintains its memory). Our radio was way bright and was wired in a way that I couldn't turn it off completely. The switch also controls the 12V outlet and readout, so I can basically "go dark" for bedtime. The USBs I left always hot (not switched) so we can charge overnight.

It's actually more straightforward than it might seem, just completing or opening circuits to fit your needs.

i agree with others, the one you posted price is way high, can definitely be found cheaper.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
APT wrote:
Most of the time we camp with AC power, so we use an AC multi-port USB charger. This one is updated from a couple we use at home and while traveling. We charge 3 phones, 3 tablets, 2 Nintendo DS, portable bluetooth speakers, and a couple portable battery packs is our wort case charging situation!

We also have an older version of this adapter for travels.

Yeah, I installed a dual cigar style outlet because I prefer to replace the USB charger when new tech (like upcoming USB-C) or if you have folks using Apple devices without a USB to lightning cable. We also use a 5x charger (one shaped to fit in a cup holder while traveling) but can also run the TV and an endless breeze fan at the same time if we don't need to charge right then.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the time we camp with AC power, so we use an AC multi-port USB charger. This one is updated from a couple we use at home and while traveling. We charge 3 phones, 3 tablets, 2 Nintendo DS, portable bluetooth speakers, and a couple portable battery packs is our wort case charging situation!

We also have an older version of this adapter for travels.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
Get a couple of these and you'll be all set:

12v dual USB and cigarette lighter w/ amp display

This is one of Amazon Choice Products

or they also have a dual usb cigarette lighter version (for $19.99)

I went with a couple of these. one on the overhead bunk and one in the cabinet over the door so I have a readout for the house batteries.. I tapped into the over head lamps and work great. To much light for the bedside though, went with an under dash type. 49.00 is way over priced by about 5 times.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Check the 12 volt wire size. It may be better to run a new heavier wire to where you wish to have the Television.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Get a couple of these and you'll be all set:

12v dual USB and cigarette lighter w/ amp display

This is one of Amazon Choice Products

or they also have a dual usb cigarette lighter version (for $19.99)
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Go with that one, price is high though.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator