cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Scratching Post

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I bought a 100' package of 1/4" sisal rope which I wrapped around the front leg of the dinette table. Each end of the rope is secured with a screw-mountable zip tie. I suspect I'll be adding this to my list of cat inventions that the cat categorically ignores.

7 REPLIES 7

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
If you cat is not declawed, that's really a great invention!

I've always been an advocate for using items in your camper that have multi-task purposes. That's one of the best ones I've seen yet! And take no extra space from anything!

I think you should get a patent on that idea before someone steals it from you!

Double ditto, outstanding idea! The zip tie attachment makes it replaceable too.

NOTE:
For those whose cats return to the furniture instead of the new post, here's how we solved that, thanks to the advice of our favorite vet.

Cats are marking territory with scent glands in their feet as well as getting their claws sharpened. Their scent takes them back to the same objects to reinforce their territory. Spray anything you don't want clawed with one of the de-scenting sprays you can get at a pet store (sometimes they're sold as anti-scratching spray). Spray once a week or more if needed.

Rub the new scratching post with cat-nip or another favorite treat repeatedly. Your cat should change his or her ways after that.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

dturm
Excellent idea. I often recommended a piece of carpet stapled to a 2x4 as a scratching post when clients asked. This is a great multi-task use as DutchmenSport said.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My cat ignores it too in favor of my couch and window treatments.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
You might also try a scrap piece of berber carpet wrapped around the post too. Our cat liked a piece of fairly rough cedar to get her claws into.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you cat is not declawed, that's really a great invention!

I've always been an advocate for using items in your camper that have multi-task purposes. That's one of the best ones I've seen yet! And take no extra space from anything!

I think you should get a patten on that idea before someone steals it from you!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Why would he use a scratching post when there's a cushion and woodwork behind him that he can destroy? :B