cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slight dripple of water from side sliding window at dinette

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
2004 Fourwinds 5000. I made sure the outside drip slits were clear by spraying hose into each slot to get out pollen/leaves that tend to build up over time. Only on heavy rain do I get a few leaks running down the paneling into the dinette couch. Outside looks normal but think its just overflowing along the window guide as the outside water tries to drain out the slits and some overflows into camper. Should I try and remove interior screws holding window in and try a bead of sealant? Seems the next logic step but wanted some expert advise from the knowledgeable panel on this site! I've heard its never a good idea to seal the outside windows and drain slits completely, but verification would also be nice to hear. Thanks in advance!
11 REPLIES 11

bingford
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at the perimeter window sealant very closely. Pin pointing a water leak can be tricky. And once water gets into the wall deamination can happen quickly. I have had a good experience with www.delamrepair.com in dealing with sealing, caulking, and water problems. they probably can find the gasket you are looking for.

30sweeds
Explorer
Explorer
The leak might be there but there's a good chance it's leaking around the window to wall sealant.The factories use butyl tape stuck to the window frame and install the window with the tape sealing to the siding.The problem is the opening is too big or the tape is pulled too tight around the corners allowing water to leak in. Lot of times,the tape never even makes contact with the siding. The only fix is to pull the window out,completely scrape the tape off the window and use urethane automotive windshield sealant to reinstall.

Kamphiker
Explorer
Explorer
VA-Apraisr wrote:
Yep......that's what I'm talking about and was going to ask if someone knew where to buy a replacement roll of this so I could cut-to-length as needed. I think filling the gap that was there should assist for the time being keeping an overflow situation from happening again. Thanks for the photo!

Duncan Systems / Lipert components they purchased the window manufacture that Winnebago used (at least on my 2006. This is the exact window fill strip as previous poster posted picture of.

I Can't remember the amount I purchased but it was enough for all the windows and I have maybe 10 feet left over. Total cost including the freight $ 32.00.

Part Number was: 132014470
Black rubber filler plug
Atwood part # 132-014470

Phone: (800) 551-9149

Found more information:

Sue Phillips
Duncan Systems
29391 Old US 33
Elkhart, In. 46516

Email: sphillips@lci1.com

574-294-6852 ex 2017

Fax # 574-294-6472
2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

lastword
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.zoro.com/trim-lok-inc-rubber-seal-p-shaped-076-in-h-25-ft-l-x1750ht-25/i/G4163358/

Trim Lock Inc
They have many sizes and styles

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would try your local dealer, if he doesn't have it in stock, he certainly can order it for you.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep......that's what I'm talking about and was going to ask if someone knew where to buy a replacement roll of this so I could cut-to-length as needed. I think filling the gap that was there should assist for the time being keeping an overflow situation from happening again. Thanks for the photo!

Juzaxadar
Explorer
Explorer
Is this the one you're talking about? It keeps the majority of the water out of the track and the rest goes out through the drain hole. I'd like to know where to find this stuff if anyone has a source.
2000 Minnie 31C V10

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Think I found the problem....rubber seal on outside at bottom of window track (the one that removable) that keeps window in the track has shrunk from sunlight/age and will need replacing. I put 50% pliable black sealant (stays 50% flexible even when dry) along the 1-2" gap until I can find replacement. Guessing this gap was allowing too much water running down the side to overflow the drainage trough/weep holes and spill into the camper. Don't worry; didn't fill the drainage trough or weep holes. I'll use a hose tomorrow when it dries to see if this was the culprit.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
There is no such thing as a slight leak. Water is the ENEMY.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't seal weep hole drains, just make sure they are clean so they do as intended...let the water drain out.

I would pull a screw at top on each corner and see if they are little bit rusty or a hole bunch rusty. If a bunch of rust, could be time to re-seal the window FRAME (not window to window frame, but window frame to the window cut out in the rv) Lots of youtube vids if that's the case.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Do NOT seal the outside drain slits. If the track/slits are clean, hard to fathom that they allow water into the interior.

Please verify that the water leak is from the glass area, not from the perimeter of the window.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/