Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jayco Rotating TV Cabinet Removal

mkdeneve
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I have a 2018 Jayco 25BH that has the rotating TV cabinet between the bedroom and living room that has the TV cubby on one side and a mirror on the other. I want to remove this cabinet completely without destroying it. Can anyone tell me how to remove this?

What I want to do is install a solid wall insert where this cabinet is, but want the ability to return it to original if I sell the camper in the future. Thanks in advance!

Mark
12 REPLIES 12

mkdeneve
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I have an email in to "Ask Jayco" to see if they can help. I don't see a way to make 2 TVs work with the current design, just not enough room on the mirror side due to the cabinet offset. If I ever figure this out I will post the solution. Thanks for everyone's feedback on this. -Mark

Russelloperator
Explorer
Explorer
I too have a Jayco with a swivel TV/mirror. I had my mirror come unattached to the TV swivel last month. It was only attached with straight staples from the bedroom side. I aligned the staples to the old holes and gently pounded them back in. So the Jayco mirror can be pried off of the TV portion.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Call Jayco and ask them how to remove it.

mkdeneve
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Spoon. I looked at this as an option too, and there is very little room to get a TV mounted on the mirror side, which is why I wanted to build an insert in the center of the opening. The cabinet offset is a big problem to make this work as is. If you remove the mirror and try to mount a TV on that side, there is a high risk of hitting the pocket doors on the bedroom side, and even worse having the slide hit the TV on the living room side. I have yet to find a TV and mount combination thin enough that I feel will fit. Even if I do find one that will fit, the swivel option will no longer work, so I wanted to do it right the first time if I could. I too decided not to pay $480 for a Jayco 32" TV, so I am trying to figure out how to make this work. Thanks for your feedback. -Mark

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mark, I looked at mine to take it off and couldn't figure it out. I was trying to beef it up to install my own tv bracket, because I didn't pay the exorbitant cost that Jayco wanted for their mount and tv.

My experience is that the mirror on the other side is just held in with brads around the trim piece. I would suggest you gently pry off the mirror trim and remove the mirror and place that in safekeeping somewhere. Then simply mount a low profile mount and tv in the bedroom side. Yes, it will extend slightly more into your bedroom, but it shouldn't be "in the way".

Good luck with whatever you decide, please keep us updated on your project!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

mkdeneve
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, all of the screws are non-accessible from the outside and are between the cabinet bottom and the top of the shelf (sandwiched in the middle). I can lift it up about 3/4" and I thought that it might just pop off, but it seems to be stuck. I have done all the investigating that I can, so I am looking for more ideas. Thanks again, -Mark

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
more than likely there are screws inside the frame above and below the tv that hold the frame to the pivot hinge. you will probably have to take the tv out to get to them. you will have to start investigating

mkdeneve
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your feedback. I agree that my modifications may be a plus to others than myself, but this is a brand new camper, so I am a bit hesitant to take a sawzall to it while it is still under warranty. I cannot see any screws on the bottom side of the swivel, so there must be a trick on getting this thing out. I doubt that Jayco built this in place, so if someone knows how to take this out, please let me know. Thanks, -Mark

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
More than likely, it’s just screwed into the ceiling and floor.
Though, why be concerned with keeping it? Unless you have a buyer that absolutely has to have the original, who’s to know? Having a TV mount on both sides would probably appeal to most people, anyway.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Following.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

mkdeneve
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your suggestion. What I really want to do is have 2 TVs mounted in the same area. Since the rotating cabinet is offset for 1 TV, there is not enough room to have 2 TVs mounted unless I remove the cabinet and put a wall panel in the center. If someone can tell me how to remove the cabinet without destroying it, I can take it from there. Thanks, -Mark

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why you would want to do that, but you could just buy a piece of 1/8 Luan, cut it to for the outer dimensions of the cabinet, stain it, spray some semigloss finish on it, drill a few holes around the perimeter, and screw it to the cabinet frame on the bedroom side.
When you go to sell/trade the TT in you can just unscrew the panel and re-insert the screws in to the panel holes left in the frame. Nice decorative screws would help the ascetics part.