cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lake Tahoe Trip

WKEV9955
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to Lake Tahoe via US395 then NV206, NV207 and US50.
Pulling a 35ft fifth wheel with 3500 ram diesel. Any concerns about what looks like a curvey and steep hill? Have never been that way and thought I would ask anyone who has for comments.
Thanks
Ken
2017 Toyota Highlander
6 REPLIES 6

WKEV9955
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments and advise. It’s helping a lot.
Ken
2017 Toyota Highlander

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, On US50 westbound at Cave Rock on the lake there is a tunnel with 12' 4" clearance in the right lane and 13' 0" in the left with 18' 6" in the center.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
206 and 207 were once a route to South Shore that was a flatlanders demise. They used to be very steep and very windy, VERY!!!!!! The Highway Patrol used to find folks literally frozen at the wheel and afraid to move. Way back when we tried going up Kingsbury Grade in our 1959 VW bug, couldn't do it.

I really don't know why you want to go that way, I would just do 395 to 50 West. Going from Tahoe to 395 is easy and shorter but I go up 50 in the rig.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are just average mountain roads around the Lake. Nothing like western Colorado.
There are few roads like US 4 over Ebbets Pass that some people may not want to tow a trailer over.

WKEV9955
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jim. Sounds like no worry. Appreciate your help.
Ken
2017 Toyota Highlander

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Was there last May and took the eastern US50 route. Wanted to take 207 but it was washed out. The snow on the road was a bit of a worry but the road is modern, wide, and scary steep when there's snow on it. But I used my exhaust brake, and didn't drive to fast and made it OK.

When it isn't snowing and raining, it's a great road...just don't go to fast as it has some steep downhills and sharp curves. It's modern 4 lane.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.